I Forge Iron

brake disks

Jim L.

I was wondering if any one had ever used brake disks to forge a blade from. I'm told that these are made froma very high carbon steal (I'm thinking motorcycle disks).

My thinking is that they are exceptionally hard and after working can be configured via forging, treat and quenching might make an interesting blade.....or would this be a waste of time.

Jim L.

Brake discs are largely cast iron ( only 3% - 4% carbon), though some have ceramic or carbon fiber included. Probably not the best choice for forgin a knife and probably not much better than a RR spike (2% carbon).

I thought RR spikes had about 0.2% carbon, quite far from cast iron. Automobile disks tend to be cast iron, but some performance versions are cast alloy steel.

Phil

Steel is cheap, if your going to put the effort into a knife, buy some of the 10 series steel,,,1084 is good and you will know what it is and can work on a good heat treat. For 20 bucks you can buy enough to make a dozen fairly large knives or 20 small ones. When your finished you know what you have.

Jerry