I Forge Iron

Heres my new swage block from John Newman, just the 20 pounder. I've only had it since last week and am really glad I got it. I've used it a few times and it has really been worth having it. I also got the stump from my neighbour. I had let him know I was looking for one at least 9" diameter for my anvil and about a week later came home at 1 am and saw this very strange shape on my front porch. I couldn't see what it was until I got about 1 foot from it since there were no lights on. I couldn't use it for my anvil since its more of a triangle (hard to tell from the pics) and one of the feet would hang off, but I knew I was getting the swage block a few days later. So I spent a few hours with a grinder with a flap pad, a large wood saw, a sawsall and a hammer and chisel and got it level and got the 2 different insets? into it. Barely moves when its laying or standing. Boy did it make me wish I had a chainsaw, or at least knew someone near me who did.

post-12243-034090200 1275354591_thumb.jp post-12243-039290400 1275354608_thumb.jp post-12243-079377600 1275354621_thumb.jppost-12243-055506500 1275354634_thumb.jp

Glad to hear you are enjoying the blocks guys. In the US get them from the Kaynes at Blacksmith Depot. When I first started producing the blocks I sold them direct to the US but the paper work to ship them individually over the border was a killer. So I met the Kaynes at Quad State several years ago and they have been carrying them ever since for American customers.

Nice job on the block. I used old guardrail posts to mount my 140lb+ swage block and it's stepped so it'll present edge or side at anvil height but it's not nearly as stable as your's looks.

That's a nice looking swage block John I may have to put one on my Christmas wish list.

Frosty the Lucky.