I Forge Iron

New design - what if?

SoCal Dave

What if I wanted to build a new forge with a burner on top and a burner on the bottom. They would be directed so they don't directly oppose each other. It seem that it would give an even heat with a rack is in the middle to hold the material. I'm not sure what the rack would be made of, but just thought of a metal rack to support the metal and not block the heat to much. What are some of the issues that I would have to overcome to make it work and would it be any better or worse than existing forges? Food for thought? Be nice.

My thoughts.... You say a rack in the middle but not to block the heat. The only thing that comes to mind that would withstand the high heat and still be small enough to not block the heat to your part would be something like Inconel. and that stuff is expensive. I don't think you would gain any advantage with this design that would offset the cost of it. ....I'm through thinking now....

my next forge will have the burner in the top center.... and a floor that moves... so I can raise and lower to accommodate diffrent sizes.... I just bought a die cart that screws up and down from Boeing to use as the foundation... Ive had the ribbon burner for some time...

It would have been much easier to put the burner in the bottom but then everything would fall in the burner and anything you set in the forge would block it.... Thus the single center top burner..

The rack would not hold up unless it was some exotic expensive stuff.... and once the forge gets up to temp I dont feel like there is any heat suck issue with laying parts on the refractory...

I am not a big fan of trying to re-invent the wheel, if it works don't mess with it, I have a two burner forgemaster ( the burners are on top) and it works great, but I prefer to burn coal it gives more heat control

I would say rather than re-invent the wheel why not look at that particular wheel and think about what it`s shortfalls may be.
Understand how it works and then combine that understanding with your intended approach to your work and what your needs are.If things are going fine then why mess with success?If you feel things could be better or more enjoyable with a little(or big)tweak or modification here or there then by all means do it.
Isn`t that at least part of why we`re all here?
IME the understanding needs to come before any mods take place.Otherwise how do you know what changes are needed and where.
Modifying something just to be different may be waste of time and money.If you`re shooting for improved performance,efficiency or ergonomics then even though others may not find your modifications worthwhile they will most times be of real value to you.

Hay Monstermetal can you supply a pic of that die cart screw set up I am also designing
a new shop forge its a clam shell style and I want to be able to lift the top higher when
needed & add brick to sides and back to fill gaps, still working on some type of adjustable thing to hold the top part also instead of kwool I am going to use castable so theirs some wt involved in top part
I like the Idea of having the bottom adjustable instead Hmm ? anyway same problem with
both Ideas any pic's or Ideas on this Idea would be great :)
Steve

Hay Monstermetal can you supply a pic of that die cart screw set up I am also designing
a new shop forge its a clam shell style and I want to be able to lift the top higher when
needed & add brick to sides and back to fill gaps, still working on some type of adjustable thing to hold the top part also instead of kwool I am going to use castable so theirs some wt involved in top part
I like the Idea of having the bottom adjustable instead Hmm ? anyway same problem with
both Ideas any pic's or Ideas on this Idea would be great :)
Steve

If you`re collecting ideas then you might do a search for the very versatile gas forge Frosty posted a while back,very user friendly and lots of flexibility.Tons of excellent ideas in that one too,just what you`d expect from Frosty.

Rich Waugh(the moderator) over on artmetal also recently posted pics of a build he completed that had bottom burners and a very innovative air curtain across the front to deal with the dragon`s breath.IIRC it had the ability to open one side for plate or wide work and used the same type of approach to sealing things up as I had seen on industrial furnace doors.
Rich always does a bang up job on everything but this was exceptional.

I`m also looking forward to seeing what Larry has up his sleeve for this new forge of his.Sure to be a cutting edge design.