I Forge Iron

Patten welded ring

nonjic

This is my first try at anything 'crafty' and im pretty pleased with the results. Gonna try a few different things jewellery wise (stainless 'mascus, mokume , siversmithing etc) but weve all got ot start somewhere ! turned it on a rather large lathe :)

Its 15n20 / 20c & pure nickel, straight laminate (nothing fancy, I was just testing the process!), so its gonna need plating. If I get a couple more done I will have a looksy into hard chrome plating (know an industrial shop that will sort it for me!)

all feedback appreciated!

ring_1.jpg

ring_2.jpg

ring_4.jpg

I turned this on a lathe from a piece of soild bar,

John, Im 99% sure that hard chrome plate is a clear coating.

Im going to make a couple more, and experiment with depth of etch, and leaving more of the black on the 20c after etch etc(this one is buffed shiny)

Ill do a few to make it worth taking them to the platers and see what they come out like. I dont have a much time investment in them so just keep playing untill I get nice results :)

I really need to start welding stainless!

John, Im 99% sure that hard chrome plate is a clear coating.

Are you sure you don`t have hard chrome confused with hard anodizing?
Hard anodizing is in fact a clear coating.
The hard chrome I`ve seen on hydraulic cylinders and other things was a shiny metal skin much the same as the chrome plating on a car or motorcycle only much more durable.

Hmmm, Ill have to do some reading, but I thought the chrome was clear, but for decorative applications it was applied over the top of a previously applied electro deposited 'shiny' base like nickel? and for applications like hydraulic cylider rods it just looked metal coloured, coz it was applied over a ground rod.

I could have looked this up in the time its taken me to type this :blink: , research tomorrow!

Hmmm, Ill have to do some reading, but I thought the chrome was clear, but for decorative applications it was applied over the top of a previously applied electro deposited 'shiny' base like nickel? and for applications like hydraulic cylider rods it just looked metal coloured, coz it was applied over a ground rod.

I could have looked this up in the time its taken me to type this :blink: , research tomorrow!

What you may be thinking of is the standard process of properly chroming steel,what some call "triple plate".
The part is first plated with copper because copper bonds to steel better than straight chrome does then it`s plated with nickel because chrome will not bond to copper as well as it does nickel then the chrome is the last to be plated on.That`s the short version of what the hotrodders and MC boys pay big $ for.
Each is an actual layer of that particular type of metal and as such it is opaque.
I have never heard of an electro-plated metal you could see through(doesn`t mean it doesn`t exist,just means I haven`t heard of it).

Thanks bob!

Ive just had another read up, and the chrome layer is a silver grey metallic colour, what youve written makes prefect sense now.

I was under the impression that a very thin layer of chrome would still allow the base metal 'colours' to show through. :rolleyes:

These are very, very nice!!!! Wish I could do that, but I've never even attempted pattern welding!!

On a side note, you are probably aware (as you mentioned plating/coating the nickel version) but I'll mention it as others may not be, but jewellery containing nickel has some pretty precise regulations in the uk (and probably best avoided in anything that will have contact with skin).

Again, nice work!

yeah they are wicked john! like colleen said some people can react to nickel and the pattern welding of any sort would be a prob to hall mark but i havent let that stop me mixing silver and gold for jewellery. makes it more magic i reckon! i have never attempted pattern welding either but would love to one day - they look great. are you going to try forging some or is it specifically the machined style you like? the silver one looks beautiful.

That nickle in jewelry is sure a problem, I made some "German Silver" rings in the seventies and a woman bought a half dozen of them and then her and her two daughters fingers all broke out something fierce with this awful rash that looked like blisters. She thought that German Silver was like sterling silver, no not so! Got to watch what you put out there for sale or as gifts these day, someone will sue your butt blind. :blink:
Nice looking rings whatever they are made from. B)