I Forge Iron

Anvil subcontracting?

I saw a 50lb anvil the other day with what is supposedly "Illinois & Indiana Railroad" in abreviated form, raised letters. Grey paint, looked old, several small casting voids in the underside of the base. Why would a RR need a 50lb anvil? The shop was asking $3/lb.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it's not "II&B", more like "ILL&IN". I'll check next week when I'm up there. The same antique dealer said a forge blower and large pan went for over $600 recently, he didnt bid on it.

Got a better look at it, it's marked "Ill&RC" at one end and "5" on the other, painted battleship grey with a red stripe down one side. Still wants $150 !!

• 4 weeks later...

That they are, but I wont say anything for a while, they are generally a good couple that run the shop.

Found another anvil at a large flea market, same markings, 'II&RC' on one end, a '7' on the other, the edges are beat to xxxx, several layers of paint visible, looks like a makers mark or crest (Fisher??) under the paint on one side. Guy wanted $50 to take it away but it's too beat up for me.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I just bought the first one, an early "VULCAN BRAND" logo by Illinois Iron and Bolt Co., the casting is bad on the letters. Looks like a school anvil, painted battleship grey with blue edging and red highlights on one side, not too beat, 50 lb'r. Cost me $24/net.
My wife got to buy her 'Secretary' at the same shop so we both be happy, an ya caint be happier than that! Huurrah for charitable gambling!!