I Forge Iron

O2 Tank Bell - Finish!

I FINALLY got around to making a bell from an 02 tank! It's not too fancy but I'll have pics soon. The question in my mind is what kind of finish, if any, to put on it. Rust wouldn't be the worst thing - though I'd have to accelerate the process - and I can always paint it, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and any suggestions?
Thanks!
Joe

I FINALLY got around to making a bell from an 02 tank! It's not too fancy but I'll have pics soon. The question in my mind is what kind of finish, if any, to put on it. Rust wouldn't be the worst thing - though I'd have to accelerate the process - and I can always paint it, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this and any suggestions?
Thanks!
Joe
[/quote
I have made several bell from O2 tanks.......I am leting one rust now ( it is the doorbell for my shop with a cable running outside to ring it ) and I have painted others. Cold Galv. , Primer , Paint works for me.

I just finished one last week.
Made a roller jig and used an angle grinder with a flap disc to remove ALL paint and apply an even grind pattern from the flap disc.
Put in on one of my paint stands then applied a heat patina pattern that came to me as I did it. No planning.
Three coats of clear and with the right light, the effect is awesome.
Didn't have the clapper done when pic was taken, but it is done the same way.

post-2645-015755700 1273899833_thumb.jpg