I Forge Iron

Have you EVER looked at your clothes dryer vent?

pkrankow

So last night my 2 year old daughter throws up on her blankie, you know the one, the special one that the world ends without. It's dinner time and I throw it in the wash. Switch it to the dryer, and check on it an hour later...still wet and the dryer won't start. Last night was terrible, she wouldn't sleep and ended up spending the night with my wife and I in our bed!

Turns out the dryer has a blown thermal fuse. When the exhaust overheats it blows the fuse and shuts down the dryer completely. It's a $12 part, and an easy fix. I started cleaning lint out since I had the dryer open, and BOY HOWDY was there LINT!

I take the vent off the wall and reach in. The vent through the wall is nearly obstructed...Well, that's why the thermal fuse blew. I go to the store and get some brushes, and a new section of vent tube(crushed the old one moving the dryer I think), and SHOULD have just bought a new dryer exhaust vent, so I get to go back.

So I've been told a few times today that "You should check your dryer vent once every year at least. If nothing else it will help prevent winter drafts."

Maybe I am ranting, I have never though about it before and I try to keep on top of this type of thing.

Maybe I need a cookie and a nap.

Phil

So last night my 2 year old daughter throws up on her blankie, you know the one, the special one that the world ends without. <SNIP>
Maybe I need a cookie and a nap.

OOH - OOH ... COOKIE AND A NAP ... SIGN ME UP TOO !!! :D

It's been one of those days.:blink:

Hope your little girl's happier now Phil ... blankie-crisies are a pretty big thing when you're 2 :)

Another good idea is to clean your lint trap screens at least 1 every 6mos with dish soap and warm water. This cleans the "softeners" off the screen that you use to make your clothes nice and soft and smelling clean and fresh.:) You can't see the stuff on the screen but if not cleaned it will hold water! Your clothes will dry faster and the screen does a better job of trapping the lint. Not to mention the safety factor! Glad to hear your little girl is happy again!

I moved recently and the guy who used to live in my house stopped by to let us know a couple of things about the house. He told us that there was a white duct in the mudroom in the basement that leaked water (he told us to put a bucket under it like he had). I traced the duct back and it was run through the floor from the recently put in main floor laundry from the dryer and just left. Theres a window about a foot from the duct so its run out there now.

I sure do hate those nights when my daughter gets something on her stuffy( like her blanky) right before bed. You know its not going to be a good night.

One year my Dad checked into the vent system for their house, and discovered that it had been directed under the house to the foundation :blink: We spent a good bit of time crawling around down there to remove the very flammable lint mountain that had been formed over the years. My dryer vents into a canister in the laundry room that is easily removed, and cleaned out.