Jump to content
I Forge Iron

Forge Insulation Material

Recommended Posts

Hi there.

I was planning to build a coal fired forge, but this turns out to be a bad idea around here due to the smoke problems. I read on this forum about this lad who made a small gas powered forge out of a propane torch and a 6" pipe. Sort of a portable job. I read the article and it seems like the answer for me. Small and clean burning. The question I have is about the fluffy looking white stuff that the forge was lined with. I have not seen this before and have no idea what it is called. It is cut and rolled up and inserted in to the pipe as a heat shield. If I can just find out what this stuff is called and where I can find it, I will be in business.

Can you help?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christopher, there are a few brands of that stuff, but probably the most widely used is called Kaowool. Here's a link to anvilfire, a supplier. I've ordered kaowool from them before. They have good service, and they even sent me a little extra anvilfire Store : Blacksmithing books, Video tapes, CD's, Refractories and anvilfire gear. buy the 1" thick material. Two layers is sufficient, but the more the better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...