I Forge Iron

Well, I have not been on the site for a while, so I thought I should post something. What better to post about than the new Mediaeval-style Gonne I got done making not too long ago? :D

I based it off of the Tannenburg handgonne design, with a few minor alterations. This kind of hand cannon has a powder chamber (a section where the barrel is much smaller-where the powder explodes); which, so I hear, makes the gonne much safer and accurate. The powder chamber is 3/8"(~9.525mm), and the barrel in 3/4"(~19.05).

I am thinking of naming it Hlud-Lieg {Loud-Fire}.

Please tell me what you think!

post-5021-12728417042043_thumb.jpg

post-5021-12728417103011_thumb.jpg

post-5021-12728417153613_thumb.jpg

post-5021-12728417194086_thumb.jpg

ok ive got some questions . did you forge the barrel by wraping and forge welding? did you thread the breach ? the chamber is it part of the breach plug? any construction photos? looks good how does it work fireing it? how many grains of powder do you use to fire it and how do you hold it with a cross stick?fun looking project!

You're very brave making it in steel.
The original Tannenberg gonne is bronze as are most of the replicas I've seen and fired. Bronze will flex a bit instead of exploding.
You DID proof your gonne first, right? I'd hate to see anyone on this board get hurt for no good reason...

ok ive got some questions . did you forge the barrel by wraping and forge welding? did you thread the breach ? the chamber is it part of the breach plug? any construction photos? looks good how does it work fireing it? how many grains of powder do you use to fire it and how do you hold it with a cross stick?fun looking project!

This was made as one piece, and then drilled. I am sorry, I did not take any pictures of me making it... As for firing, I use about 1 and 1/2 TEAspoons ( I figure it to be about 120 grains, but I have not measured in a while- all I know is that when I measured, it filled 1 and 1/2 teaspoons). I fire holding under the right armpit, and touching a piece of matchcord to the touchhole. I could use a "fork", but I have not made one yet.

You're very brave making it in steel.
The original Tannenberg gonne is bronze as are most of the replicas I've seen and fired. Bronze will flex a bit instead of exploding.
You DID proof your gonne first, right? I'd hate to see anyone on this board get hurt for no good reason...

I did pick a nice piece of steel, and tempered it to be VERY soft compared to what it was. I could not even begin drilling before I tempered, because it was so hard. :D

It is much stronger than the last one I made, which I have fired many many times. I will get rid of it soon though, because it is a health hazard.

Looks interesting, got photos of you firing it? B)
I found this on the Tannernburg gonne http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/handgonne.html

Not yet. I could if you really want!

That is the diagramme I based my gonne off of, but I gave more wall and chamber room for my larger bore.

nice! you know there is another way to go that would be safe and you could have a rifled barrel ..that is to buy a black powder pistol or rifle barrel ..theyre are various companys selling them . what you have made sounds safe enuf tho.. as far as powder charge 1 and 1/2 teaspoons is a reasonable charge probably closer to 90 grains (by volume) i bet it goes bang nice tho! did you use a lead ball or are you useing it as a blank gun? nice job hope you injoy it!

Ahh the originals from that time are un-rifled so having one rifled is *worse* when it comes to authenticity.

I'm a bit concerned by the alloy choice: generally you *DON'T* want a high carbon steel for gun barrels!
Even tempered it tends to be a bit more brittle than a nice gooey lower carbon steel. Deformation is a
much nicer failure mode than fracture!

Ahh the originals from that time are un-rifled so having one rifled is *worse* when it comes to authenticity.

I'm a bit concerned by the alloy choice: generally you *DON'T* want a high carbon steel for gun barrels!
Even tempered it tends to be a bit more brittle than a nice gooey lower carbon steel. Deformation is a
much nicer failure mode than fracture!

you can also buy smooth bore barrels as blanks .