I Forge Iron

Anvil Block

I FINALLY got my 130 Lb Arm & Hammer on a block! It has been patiently waiting in a corner of the garage for months now while I decided what kind of block to put it on.

I need it to be portable- Since it lives in my studio area when I'm not using it, and I wheel it out when I need it. I suppose I could have gone with a tree stump, but leveling them is such a pain... I found some drawings on the Anvilfire page of a block made from 2 x 12's, and it looked like it would be ideal. So, I built one. It works VERY well.

The way it is constructed with the 'offset' in the 2x's and straps at the top makes it a little wider, therefore a little more stable. That also makes some convenient storage 'holes' for hammers, hardies, etc. The two end boards are longer, and help to hold the anvil in place. Once I wedged it in to the block (with the angle stock), it was very solid- and not going anywhere. I strapped it down, too- Just to be sure.

This anvil had a pretty loud ring to it- I didn't mind it too much, but it drove my wife crazy (not a very long drive, mind you :) ). But, when strapped down firmly in this block, it is a LOT quieter. I am actually amazed at how silent it is!

I mounted this one so the face is a little above my knuckle level- Which seems to be where I am most comfortable working. It's nice to have one mounted at MY height rather than the ones that I use at the shop that are used by many people, and therefore at a 'generic' height that I find way too high for comfort...

I've still got to mount my Mousehole- I think I'll make the stand for that one a touch taller, for when I do detailed work.

-Andrew

post-6978-12722276725077_thumb.jpg

post-6978-12722276834039_thumb.jpg

post-6978-1272227690205_thumb.jpg

Phil... Does one wrap the anvil or one's wife with the chain? :D

Phew- Thanks for the clarification here- I ALMOST made a mistake. The chain goes on the ANVIL... Ooops.

Actually, there is almost no ring now. Besides- she 'steals' about 1/2 of what I make most of the time anyway, so she can't complain :)

Yes- It is important to keep the spouse sane & happy if you want to enjoy this hobby... I've found that a constant stream of trinkets from the forge helps out a lot :)

She is, after all, the one that went to get these anvils for me- They came up on Craigslist while I was at sea- and I had to send her after them with a check :)