I Forge Iron

what are they worth

I would not pay more than $1.50-2.00 a lb for either. That being said. How many turn up un your area?
Might check craigslook. If ya don't pick an area it will give ya the whole country. Also depends on your idea of good condtion. I like mine with flat faces, unchunked edges, minimal cuts and dings. A beat up brand name is no better than a minty bottom of the line brand.
Ken.

The Acme looks like a good anvil... I wouldn't be scared to pay $225-$250 if you planned on putting it to work. Small anvils are easier to sell and usually bring more per pound than an average size (they get expensive per pound again when they get over 300lbs) There was a 87lb Peter Wright for sale on CL here in Seattle. They guy was asking $425.... He didn't seem to like me telling him his anvil was not worth $5/lb

Out my way I have picked anvils up for around $1 a pound.

Check out the forum thread here titled real prices of anvils.

What it gets down to is what is your pain level. For some $1 a pound, for others it may be $3 a pound. Buy what you want for what you can afford.

Saint Louis is in the part of the midwest where anvils are just about the cheapest. I would not buy it for west coast prices!

I did buy a Peter Wright, 112#, very good condition; for US$1.33 a pound just in the last couple of weeks here in NM. Thought that price was good enough that nortoriously cheap me was willing to cough it up and offer to do some fab work to pay off the cost.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of going to get it or shipping into your final price. (my new anvil required a several block diversion from an otherwise scheduled trip)