I Forge Iron

25# or 50# Little Giant wanted

Hello, new to the site, found it while searching the 'net.
Anyway, I am in IOWA, looking for a 25# or 50# Little Giant Hammer. In working condition and within reasonable distance (let's start around 500 miles). Reply here or to eyekeeper604@yahoo. THANKS

Hard to say, a fair dollar for a fair product. But in general terms, maybe $2000

Good luck on finding one for that price! Here is the link to the "Tailgate" section for Saltfork. Mike George has a few posted there and you can bet you will get your $$ worth from him. Also, you might want to consider checking out one of James Johnson's Anyang hammers. I've seen them in action, great machine. James is a member here, check out his lastest post in the "power hammer" section, amazing work.

Good luck on finding one for that price! Here is the link to the "Tailgate" section for Saltfork. Mike George has a few posted there and you can bet you will get your $$ worth from him. Also, you might want to consider checking out one of James Johnson's Anyang hammers. I've seen them in action, great machine. James is a member here, check out his lastest post in the "power hammer" section, amazing work.

Thanks Tom. Looks like James has a ton of talent too.
But can I ask, would you tell any one the top money you have to spend on an item you want to buy??? If so, how much do you have and what are you looking for, I am sure I might have one at that price!! LOL Just poking some good natured fun...
Honestly I have seen some for sale between $1500 and $4500, size dependant. Just driving 1500 miles one way is kind of crazy at $3 gas.

Thanks Tom. Looks like James has a ton of talent too.
But can I ask, would you tell any one the top money you have to spend on an item you want to buy??? If so, how much do you have and what are you looking for, I am sure I might have one at that price!! LOL Just poking some good natured fun...
Honestly I have seen some for sale between $1500 and $4500, size dependant. Just driving 1500 miles one way is kind of crazy at $3 gas.

Thanks Tom/Ranger604:

I have a very clean, Little Giant 50 that was rebuilt by Sid at L.G. It comes with flats,drawing, and a pair of universal dies w/a dozen or so of texturing bolt on dies. The universal dies are machined flat dies with holes drilled/taped. This allows you to make quick dies without machining the dovetails. Just weld whatever shape/texture you need to a piece of plate, then bolt the plate to the universal die. I'm currently having a machinist make me a pair similar to these dies for my Anyang 33. If they work well, I will take the concept to the Anyang factory and make them for the 33,55,88,165.
Anyway, the price of the 50 LG is $4,300.00

The cost of a new Anyang 33 is $4,800.00. The new 33's arrive on a factory base, wiried ready to run.
The 33 runs off of single phase 220v. It also is self-contained, so the air source is built into the hammer. There is no need to buy and store a big compressor. This saves you space, and you won't have to relay air lines from the compressor to the hammer. The 33" can out work most 50lb mechanical hammers and only uses a 3'6" x 1'6" floor space. If you go to u-tube, type a search for Anyang power hammers, one of our hammer owners Mark Asbery made a few video's years ago.

As soon as things slow down for me, I'm going to be making Anyang power hammer videos. Covering everything from forging thin copper to heavy 5-6 thick steel sq bar.

Hope this helps

I have a running 50lb hammer that is ugly and rough but works just fine. Its going to need bearings soon. I am asking $1800 as is or $2500 with new bearings and pitman (which I have)

I will have a new style 50 soon that will be about $3500 rebuilt

Shipping is not that bad. My guess is if you can unload it I could get it shipped to you for $300-$400

James,
Thanks for the info. Does the Anyang come with other than one set of dies? Does $4800 put it at my door? Looks like a nice piece of equipment.
Dave

The 33' comes with a set of flats, but with the purchase of the hammer I will take off -$50.00 any extra sets of dies, any profile.(normal die cost is $275.00 your cost would be $225.00)

$4,800.00 covers the cost of the hammer. shipping would be around $250-350.00 (ballpark)

If your interested, give me your zip code and I can send you a total cost.

I will be out of my office for most of the day. If you have any questions, or need anything you can reach me on my cell 940-627-4529 James

Where in Iowa are you? I am about 21/2 hours south of Des Moines. I have 6 hammers in my shop you can come down and run any or all of them & see what you like best. I have 25# thru 125# LGs and bradleys. I think I have all the ones I have for sale spoken for but I don't have any money on them yet. phil

Where in Iowa are you? I am about 21/2 hours south of Des Moines. I have 6 hammers in my shop you can come down and run any or all of them & see what you like best. I have 25# thru 125# LGs and bradleys. I think I have all the ones I have for sale spoken for but I don't have any money on them yet. phil

125lb Little Giant? Is that like Grants 60lb'er? (increased ram weight due to oversize dies)

125lb Little Giant? Is that like Grants 60lb'er? (increased ram weight due to oversize dies)

Some of the late model 100lb LGs had a 125 lb ram. An oversize die brings it to around 140+, we weighed a ram and die at Sid's a couple years ago. My new 100 will be a 140 :D

I am in Davenport. About 2 1/2 from Des Moines. Have any photos?

If I remember right, the heavy ram 100 LGs were something the US government wanted. The new style 100 after 1941 had a hollow ram, you can see through it from the side. To make it 25 lbs heavier, they just cast them solid. Sid got three 100 lb frames and all the major parts (never assembled) when he bough the company, these had heavy rams. I saw these at Sid's over 10 years ago and wanted one bad but at the time Sid didn't know what he was going to do with them. Over the years he agree to put my name on one. He built one for a guy with some type of blacksmithing museum, he built the one with the last serial # for himself (pictured below). The last one is finish and will be delievered soon, I'm working on the foundation right now. :)

Dies are 3"x8"x4" tall and you can see the center of the ram is solid.

LittleGiant1.jpg