I Forge Iron

Quick, possibly dumb hydraulic control valve Q

abrasive

Building a 24-ish ton h-frame. Silly question, but I'd really rather plumb this beast only once.

With a 4-way valve like this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_37216_37216&issearch=2010 ...

When the lever is moved away from center, how do I know which work port will receive flow? Is it the one opposite the lever motion? I.e. whichever way the linked plunger moves?

So, referring to the picture, if I had the valve mounted with the flag upright - would moving the lever UP (which pushes the plunger IN) activate port B?

Related Q: On a bottom-pusher press, do you guys set up the lever to be up for squish (ram motion) or down for squish (more intuitive to me - maybe - have not run one yet)? Down squish makes for a simpler foot pedal linkage...

Thanks much,
Dave

Ha! I love it. :)

I was actually thinking about doing that with compressed air. Didn't want to blow the shipping/preservative oil all over me, the shop, etc. I like your tool-free low-pressure approach!

It's the simple things...

Thanks,
Dave

Re Valve direction, industry standard is lever down causes ram to go down, lever up causes ram to go up, if mounted horizontally towards the press is down or squeeze, pull back on the lever is lift or return. Imdustry secret No2 is after blowing through the valve to see which way the valve is going, look in the mirror before going down the street to the bank as they sometimes put sealing gunk on the ports which can leave a really stupid looking ring of gunk on your lips and it really freaks out the chick who is the teller in the bank.

Phil

LOL!! AND its always a good idea to wipe the said lip contact area off to avoid experiencing new and not always pleasant taste sensations. BTW, Abrasive, another silly question; Was there an instruction sheet packaged with the valve?? :rolleyes:

LOL!! AND its always a good idea to wipe the said lip contact area off to avoid experiencing new and not always pleasant taste sensations. BTW, Abrasive, another silly question; Was there an instruction sheet packaged with the valve?? :rolleyes:

You have NO idea how many times I looked at that sheet to see if the info was there, heh.

I did the blow into it thing - it works as I described above.

There is indeed sealant. Nice of them to put that there. Must be to keep warehouses from turning into superfund sites - there's oil in there, too. ;) Man those 3/4 plugs were TIGHT. And 5/8" allen?? I don't have a 5/8 allen - had to bodge one up by jamming some nuts on a bolt and using that. Worked.

Very, very close to the smoke test on this one! I'll get pics up once I know it's not going to dismantle itself.

Dave

dismanteling is OK demolision is NOT. Friend called one day said I have this portable hyd setup. Want it?
I drove over to check it out. Was a 3500 psi pump and a closed center valve. He cranked it up opened the valve
centered the valve and blew out the back wall of the valve body.( It was much thinner than the body) He only knew
about open center valves. He still has the remains. A micro pin hole will cut flesh even thou ya can't see it.
Take care.
Ken.

It lives! Fired it up last night, and all the oil stayed inside!

After all the round and round about the valve, I still managed to connect it backward. I am special. I now see that running the press that way would not be a lot of fun. So, I got to spill a little oil swapping them.

This thing is going to be fun! Pics coming hopefully tonight.

Dave