I Forge Iron

Bridge Pin Steel

Does anyone know what type of iron/steel that Bridge Pins would be made of? I was at the local scrap yard and they had a stack of pins about 1.5 inches in diameter and maybe a foot and a half long. I asked the guy what they were and he said they were pins used in constructing bridges. He had no idea what type of steel they were.

Mark

Take a look in the Yellow pages or maybe online for the company building the bridges and ask them. Another good source is to contact your State materials lab and ask them. Any and all materials going into the road system MUST be approved by the state engineers and THEY rely on the material's lab to do the testing so they know if product F is a suitable substitute for material A or whatever.

Yeah, I spent a couple years as a Lab Rat before transfering to the Bridges and Foundations drill crew but I worked for the Materials section of AK DOT for 20 of my 30 years there. It's a public office so as long as you're polite they are required to answer at least some of your questions. "What's bridge pin steel?" would've taken one of the guys in our office maybe two minutes to look up and answer provided you didn't accidently get connected to one of the idgits.

Frosty the Lucky.

So I would guess that they are a tapered pin, sort of a podger. We used to have a job making these. 1000 in an order, they were called by the 2 companies we made them for either bull pins and/or bridge pins, used for lining up holes for the bolts. We used to use 1045, for them. Hope this is of some use, maybe a different material is used in the US though.

Phil