I Forge Iron

Newest blade, "Forge Born"

Tri Moon Forge

In the crafting of this blade the forge and steel "helped" in it's crafting.

I started with a shape I saw from the London exhibit of Celtic knives. The metal was an old leaf spring and started to show many cracks and defects in the metal and had to remove them. At one point the forge got a little to hot and when I pulled it out, the forge had taken a piece for itself, lol. This is also my first handle job and selected Red Oak. So all in all, this is the outcome and I'm happy with the results.

post-13390-12695687924541_thumb.jpg

post-13390-12695688072538_thumb.jpg

post-13390-1269568829617_thumb.jpg

post-13390-12695688586104_thumb.jpg

Thank you, it was a little frustrating but like I said it is a great knife.

Here's the original inspiration on the right. It started with a lot more material and was supposed to be about 16" in length. The cracks were very severe runing from the edges and lateral, forcing me to loose almost half the blade. I realize that I could probably weld it but I have always felt that if something comes up like this it is meant to be. (Read, I don't have a welder and the forge wasn't cooperating for welding heat that day)

post-13390-1269575939281_thumb.jpg

In the crafting of this blade the forge and steel "helped" in it's crafting.

I started with a shape I saw from the London exhibit of Celtic knives. The metal was an old leaf spring and started to show many cracks and defects in the metal and had to remove them. At one point the forge got a little to hot and when I pulled it out, the forge had taken a piece for itself, lol. This is also my first handle job and selected Red Oak. So all in all, this is the outcome and I'm happy with the results.

Very cool man

The remaining blade has none of the defects remaining, I also have placed it in a vice and put all my weight against it in both directions. I've also done a ping test and it rings clear, not dull.

Thank you all for your kind words on the blade. I will have more blades to post and appreciate comments and suggestions on them.

How thick is the spine? Looks mighty thick for such a short grind, looks like some cold chisels of mine. I'll bet your spine is thicker on the knife you made then the longest blade in the museum display. Geometry is very important when it comes to making a knife that CUTS instead of a sharp piece of steel that can cut.

The spine is under an 1/8" thick but the tang is thicker than the spine. As for the short grind, I wanted a large blade surface as part of the over all design and I may add some copper inlay later on.

How tall is the grind? Looks maybe 1/4". On a blade that looks maybe 5/8ths wide, that's still fairly steep. You could have flat ground that right up to the spine and inlayed on the flats, IMHO if you wanted to inlay something make a necklace or a brooch.

LOL, tell that to my Celtic ancestors, they inlayed everything. I will take some pictures of the next one I do and we'll see what you think of it.