I Forge Iron

Screw Press

eric sprado

I have an old SCREW PRESS made in early 1900's. No NOT A FLY PRESS! This is a screw press that predates hydraulic presses. It is about 6feet high,says it is rated at 30+ tons and has about a 14" diameter wheel. Smaller threads than a fly press so it moves slower,but it does have some brute strength!! Has an interesting feature. After getting close to the end of throw,you can use another long arm to use it like an arbor press! I found some thick walled pipe that fits over the working end and am going to cut it into three inch lengths,weld some discs on the end and make some tooling. Has anyone had any experience with these? Thanks, Eric Sprado,Deadwood,Oregon. You can reply here for all..... or reach me at: spradoeric@gmail.com . Thanks, Eric

I have a large 2 lead screwpress, the "flywheel" is 42" dia though and no arbor press option.

I had a friend with a lathe turn a tool holder for it with a 1" hole and have had a lot of fun using it to slit steel with a high alloy slitting tool, we've stamped coins for a organization I'm in, used it to make tenons, etc

Yes it's slower than a fly press but for US$100 I couldn't complain.