I Forge Iron

New Vise stand

brian.pierson

All,

Here is my new vise stand. It is 36 inches tall and 17 inches wide at the part near the bench. It is as tall as the bench next to it. I can attach it to the bench later. The feet have a little lip so I will forge a bracket piece to go over each of them. I plan on making two sets so I can firmly anchor the stand to concrete in the new shop floor. The second set will be hammered into the ground using pole barn nails for travel. The top is 9/16 inch plate. I put the vise on an angle to the bench for clearance with longer pieces. I still have to put a shelf in the middle and put a block at the bottom for the vise leg. I also have some cleaning to do on the vise. The crank handle has a big curve in it. I would like to forge it straight but it will have to wait until I get the new forge built. It is too unwieldy with my rivet forge. I have to paint the stand and the vise after the clean up too. It will be a bright red from the rust if I don't.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

post-6208-12690311405765_thumb.jpg

post-6208-12690311777864_thumb.jpg

post-6208-12690311901555_thumb.jpg

post-6208-12690312167079_thumb.jpg

post-6208-12690312420426_thumb.jpg

Nice looking stand, I am building a new one this week myself. I like how you can utilize your bench also, I might do something similar to that too. Thanks for sharing , show us the vise when you get it all painted up pretty.