I Forge Iron

LAMA Conference PICS

If any of you ever get a chance to visit with the group in Louisiana, don't miss the oppurtunity. We had some of the best food there is, and met the friendliest people you can imagine. The first day was animal heads, everyone was able to follow the steps, Brian has a way of putting things in perspective, you cannot think of making the finished project, you learn the steps that make up the finished project. This way the metal will react the same way everytime and you can learn by repetition. The second day of the class was the forge welded bundle. It was great seeing the smiles on everyones faces, whether it was from making the forge weld, or the striking each one was doing to help each other draw out there bundles. Saturday and Sunday were very productive, Brian made a Hammer, a 3-D Horse Head from 1 1/4 inch stock, and His custom hot cut hardie, all by noon and did not really start hammering till around 9:30 Saturday morning. I can see now I will be making the trip back every year, Thanks for everything fellows. Here are the pics. http://picasaweb.google.com/LDWynn/LAMACONFERENCE2010#

I also just returned from LAMA
1250 miles to home but the demonstration and good times were well worth the trip
After seeing Brian demonstrate my only regreats were not wathcing him years ago when I had the chance and not being involved in the two day class. I may go to the Mississipppi conference to see him again.
Lyle you and your striking was great also.
Very rarely do we get to see striking here in the US
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Brian uses vegetable oil. In this case it is peanut oil, if the piece is hot enough it will turn it black, similar to seasoning an iron skillet. In the picture you can see that part of it was not hot enough that is why he returned it to the fire to heat it up some more. Did I get that right Brian?

The metal has to be the right temp, not too hot, not too cool. If it is too hot, you burn your rag. If it is too cool, you are just wiping oil on. At the right temperature, you will be applying the finish, and it won't stick to bare metal. It only sticks to the scale. Be careful not to touch the metal at a black heat!