I Forge Iron

Faux Damas

roosko

Well I thought I would have a little fun. Here is a "false-damascas" blade that I forged from 1084, then played with some mustard, cold-blue, and ferric-chloride. Came out pretty neat.

Forged 1084
Stainless Guard
Sambar Stag
"Real" Damascas Butt-cap
OAL: 7 3/4"
Blade Tip-to-Guard: 3 1/2"

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Robert

fauxdamas.jpg

786.attach

Hey Roosko, That looks so cool. If you would'nt mind could you explain what or how you did it, the mustard/ gun blue/ acid thing. I am a new to some of this stuff and the look is so neat I realy would like to learn how or at least try to understand it. Again I love the funky etch look it seems to add depth!!!!
Thanks
TIM

If you would'nt mind could you explain what or how you did it, the mustard/ gun blue/ acid thing. TIM

Hi Tim:

Take some regular mustard (the kind you put on hot dogs), and "dobb" it on randomly with a Q-tip. Let it start to dry (it will dry closer to the edges of the "dobbs").

When it is almost dry (may still be wet in the middle), then take some gun blue (commonly called "cold-blue"), and "dobb" it in-between the mustard. Let that sit for maybe 30-60 seconds. Wash everything down with hot water and dishwashing soap. Take some #0000 steel wool to it and see what it looks like.

In order to get a really random pattern.......... do it again by "dobbing" the mustard in different places (overlapping where it was before and onto where the bluing was).

Do this until you have a pattern that you like. What I did then was to dip it in Ferric Chloride (available from Radio Shack as "Circuit Board Etchant") that I mixed 3:1 with distilled water (3 parts water and 1 part FeCl). This sorta helps to even out the "edges".

The FeCl dips can run from a few seconds to a couple of minutes. Watch it............. Neutralize this dip with amonia (Windex w/amonia works fine)

Back to the steel wool............... Just play with it until you have a look that you are satisfied with. You can always sand it down and start over.

I hope this explanation was not too confusing. If I can help, just let me know.

Have Fun........... Robert

Hey Roosko,
Realy appreciate it! I have played alittle with knives...well... RR spike type knives and small items...find it fun and am trying to progress. And to see the look you developed was off the hook! Thanks for taking the time to teach an old dog a new trick. I may drop you a line for quick advice as I experiment ....Thanks Again
Have a Great One
TIM