I Forge Iron

Aloha, Steve from Kauai here; I am a beginning smith and recently discovered IForgeIron through Don Fogg's website. I have been learning for about 3 years now, at first on my own, and for the last several months under the guidance of Ted Shanks. I have been learning some basic techniques and practicing hammer control. I started with a home made charcoal forge, built a propane forge and burners last Christmas, and have been buying and making tools. I see many talented people here and i thank you for the opportunity to view your posts and learn more about this great endeavor.

Welcome Steve - We all like pictures to enhance the story/ies - Do you have any laying around of your first forge and the three year journey, thus far, you would like to share?

Trevor

I will work on getting some photos posted when i can.....thanks for the welcome.

This is a shot of my first forge and one of my first RR spike knives, taken about 3 years ago when I started. The forge body was someone's throw away BBQ grill; I lined it with local clay and coated with Mizzou refractory, and used charcoal and/or wood for fuel. A 3/4" pipe with 1/4 " holes served as the tuyere, and a hair dryer served as the air source; a "T" fitting with a damper regulated the air flow. I used the forge (with one reline) for the last 3 years until I built my first propane forge from a R134 Freon can last Xmas. I will add more photos as time permits. Aloha, Steve

post-13101-12682812930852_thumb.jpg

After my first early efforts on a cast iron pos anvil; I upgraded to a post anvil which in its former life was an excavator demolition bit; this photo was a little over 2 years ago. An awesome anvil. it still resides just outside the back door of my garage.Weight is unknown but it gets heavier every time I move; current estimate is around 500 pounds.

post-13101-12683218943661_thumb.jpg

Thanks Frosty and everybody; i am fortunate to have a scrap metal yard that lets me go out and pick out stuff....for the post anvil they loaded me up with the wheel loader and I left a $20 for the aloha of it. They don't charge set fees, just whatever you offer since they have to pay to ship the stuff off island. I find cool stuff every time i can get over there. These pictures are of the place i lived before moving where I am now, and my first attempt at a Japanese tanto style blade. This was about a year and a half ago, more or less.

post-13101-12683713327816_thumb.jpg

post-13101-12683713834508_thumb.jpg

Here was a camp type knife I made about a year ago; I have since reground the handle to eliminate the hump on top so it flows better. I also picked up a real anvil, a 120 lb JHM , about the same time as I started getting guidance from a local farrier/blacksmith.

post-13101-12683718824347_thumb.jpg

post-13101-12683720326794_thumb.jpg

An ulu for the wife from plow steel; a bowie type with milo wood handle; the propane forge v.2 with adjustable stock rest and modified burners. I will have to take a few photos of some of the tongs and stuff; don't have any on disc yet. If this is too much, just holler "STOP!!!" :)

post-13101-1268372832933_thumb.jpg

post-13101-12683729096733_thumb.jpg

post-13101-12683729934513_thumb.jpg