I Forge Iron

Looks pretty good Zach. The last piece, laying on the heal, is it a cable twist or a welded bundle for another basket twist? All in all, a good showing for someone new to the craft. Well done.

Frosty the Lucky.

Try to keep an even heat all along the section that you are twisting, pour water on the areas that are deforming too fast. You need to upset the square corner a bit more. Before scrolling the ends, thin the stock evenly to a ribbon end and try to turn the scroll without any flats.

Thanks Guys!
I bought a 330 euroanvil a few months ago and this weekend was the first chance the weather was nice enough
to get out and play.
All the pieces with the exception of the basket twists were hammered out of
some 1/2 rebar. The basket stock was some 3/16 round I had laying around.

Frosty, Thanks! The piece on the heel is another welded bundle for a basket twist.

Rob, Thanks!

Billy, I tacked the pieces together with my MIG then hammered the welds out.
I will try to forge weld a bundle this weekend.

Sam, Thanks for the compliments and the tips! The flat in the scroll is the result of using a pair
of needle nose pliers to get the scroll started. I don't have a pair of round nose pliers or scrolling tongs as of yet.

Zach: check out this Youtube video by Dave Custer. It shows a good technique for forging finial scrolls and larger scroll elements with hammer and anvil.

The technique for forging a large scroll element is the same as for a finial scroll. A finial being the end treatment on a piece of stock from the fleur dlis, spear point or flame on the top of a fence post to the delicate finial scroll on a coat or "J" hook like Dave demos.

Frosty the Lucky.