I Forge Iron

Two photos of a quick project

Hey all.
Just finished this little wall-mounted candelabra and thought I'd share.
Very quick project, start to finish was about 2 hours.
I wanted something with sort of a "castle" sort of look to it. Hence the chains.

ironwork003.jpg

And with lit candles added;
ironwork006.jpg

I'm thinking of adding a two armed hook at the top to replace the two simple nails in the wall. That will probably look a lot nicer than it does now.

I think you should hang it from a single hook. You could put a little bow in the long links so that they form a nice arch shape when hanging.

A little trick that I have been using some lately is to make a sort of spiked drive J hook with the spike tilted down a bit and then when it is driven in I give a couple of squirts of superglue at the top of the spike... the glue runs down into the drywall or plaster and hardens it up so that it holds the hook. Be sure to have a paper towel handy to wipe up anything that might drip down the wall and keep that stuff off your fingers! Not quite as good as catching a stud but okay for light to medium duty hanging.

Seems like you moved pretty fast on that to me! Nice job!

Great Job, I was trying to think of something to hang on my fireplace that doesnt have a hearth. I think something like that would be just right. Thanks for sharing that. I wont tell how long it takes me to do it. What ? or Did you put anything on the metal ,like a sealer or finish . I cant tell looking on my PC. I use Bees wax mostly for inside projects. But again great job and cool design. That thing would sell very well on Ebay.

Great Job, I was trying to think of something to hang on my fireplace that doesnt have a hearth. I think something like that would be just right. Thanks for sharing that. I wont tell how long it takes me to do it. What ? or Did you put anything on the metal ,like a sealer or finish . I cant tell looking on my PC. I use Bees wax mostly for inside projects. But again great job and cool design. That thing would sell very well on Ebay.

Thanks very much everyone!
I didn't use a sealer on this one, I just wiped it with some motor oil on a rag and then dried it. Bees wax is one of my favorite sealers too. I especially like the smell of it when you get "scrap" wax from Apiculturists that still has a bit of honey stuck in it.
It started out as me showing someone different types of bar ends. The half-round bar that sits horizontally, has nub-ends that you can't see. I like them but they're almost invisible in projects.