I Forge Iron

Interesting bits around my dads

I made a quick trip to Idaho this last weekend and brought back a few things.. These where a couple things I thought where interesting but didn't bring back...

4409550975_4a46464679.jpg
4410316564_8ab1b70da6.jpg
4410316534_05c79bc1ee.jpg
4409570263_9d3297b55f.jpg
4409550875_2a162fe082.jpg

This little swedish anvil is really nice. Its part of a whole early blacksmith shop that was just outside of Buhl that my dad bought in its entirety. One of those things that 50 years ago they locked the door and no one messed with it. He has plans to build a barn wood building and put it all back and run it with a line shaft and a hit and miss engine

That must've been a very cool visit Monster. Your Dad has a nice smithy here, just waiting for the building!

My Father had different interests in metal and actively discouraged me from smithing. He said I should learn a paying trade instead and I didn't finally convince him I just do it because it's enjoyable, I wasn't looking to make a living at it, till a couple years before he died. Being able to go back and take a walk through his shop with him would be a treat for my soul.

Frosty the Lucky.

That must've been a very cool visit Monster. Your Dad has a nice smithy here, just waiting for the building!

My Father had different interests in metal and actively discouraged me from smithing. He said I should learn a paying trade instead and I didn't finally convince him I just do it because it's enjoyable, I wasn't looking to make a living at it, till a couple years before he died. Being able to go back and take a walk through his shop with him would be a treat for my soul.

Frosty the Lucky.

Man! Your Dad has some really cool things at his place! I, too, dig the anvil/ vise. That's kind of the ultimate anvil there. What are the gears on the left hand end about?

I think the proper name for that thing is the "Stewart handy vise" It has a square drive socket inside the front jaw and you could put accesorys in there... a grinding wheel is one I have seen and heard you could even get a lathe attachment. The attachment that was used most (from what I understand) was for sharping sheep shears which the same company manufactured.. I guess they made the best sheep shears around... I also think the company that built this later went on to make the "Sunbeam" mixers...

The vise's had lots of attachments from grinding wheels to drill chucks, lathe chucks, circle saw blades and other sorts of things. Just do NOT think it's actually an anvil! They're cast and will not survive much hammer work heavier than straightening med-lg nails.

Were I to be exposing my envy publicly I'd admit I'd LOVE the acorn table or another Soderfors anvil.

Frosty the Lucky.

Jees it all looks great I love seeing what has been saved like these things. Larry did you get the 50# LG from my "backyard" :)
Chris

I did. I have contacted a couple other NWBA members and have put together a crew to bring it back to life. The plan is to make it available to NWBA functions free of charge. Should be a nice little hammer. I got a new 1.5hp 1160 rpm motor and a VFD to run it on the way. Now all I need is some time to work on it. ;-)

Frosty, Id love to have that table too. Around here we call them "Layout" tables. Theres on about 10' x 6' less than 7 minutes from my house but they wont part with it..Not sure I could move it anyway :lol:

in the shop my old man worked in they had about 400' x 400' floor of platen tables

and million jigs for all purposes

the belt sander had like 30 ft belt for graining metal

everything was old grimey machinery things blacksmiths dream about including a foundry

all doing mostly decorative metalwork and some industrial

in the shop my old man worked in they had about 400' x 400' floor of platen tables

and million jigs for all purposes

the belt sander had like 30 ft belt for graining metal

everything was old grimey machinery things blacksmiths dream about including a foundry

all doing mostly decorative metalwork and some industrial

Woo.... 400 X 400 feet? That is nuts! I used to work for a surplus outfit here in Seattle and we bought about 40 or so 5' X 5' platens from Boeing one time... There was one table that was three tables wide by five long.. (15' X 25') The frame work was all 10 X 10 X 1/2 square tube.... it was a beautiful thing built in the typical Boeing fashion.... I had to pull the platens and cut the frame up so we could truck it :( :(

that sucks larry cutting up nice work is like a double waste of effort

one day I will need a platen table but for now I need a bigger shop where I can run my power hammer, its on the list of goals first i need the work or someone to share space

the old shop that my dad worked in has some weird machines from the 40's

they had this giant tube with a glass window where 2 electrodes ran down inside the chamber welding I forget what it was about I was probley 10 at the time when I saw it looked real cool though