I Forge Iron

Paul Moffett Dies

primtechsmith

PAUL DELL MOFFETT, 10/1/1931--3/3/2010
Mr. Moffett was graduated from Shortridge High School in 1950 and attended Hanover College in the class of 1954. He served in the United States Army from 1954 to 1956. After his discharge he was active in two small businesses dealing with theater supplies and electronic power controls.
He spent many hours volunteering for organizations which interested him including the Transportation Museum in Noblesville and, more recently, the Museum of Miniature Houses in Carmel where he was responsible for both full-scale and miniature lighting.

He served for many years on the Board of Trustees for St. Luke's United Methodist Church where his primary responsibility was overseeing the care of the building and its mechanical and electrical systems.
His lifelong interest in history was shown by membership in the Indiana Historical Society, National Railroad Historical Society, Indiana Canal Society and American Theater Organ Society. He also collected materials involving antique crafts such as weaving, metalwork, and hand tools.

He became interested in the art and craft of blacksmithing and served several terms as president of the Indiana Blacksmithing Association. He was active, also, in the national blacksmithing organization (Artists Blacksmith Association of North America) and served as assistant chair of their annual national conference in 2004.

He was preceded in death by a sister, Susan Dell Moffett Curtis, and a son, David Paul Moffett.
Survivors include his wife, Suzanne Berry Moffett and daughter, Wendy Lynn Moffett Johnson.
Contributions may be made in his honor to the Museum of Miniature Houses, 111 E. Main Street, Carmel , IN 46032, or the Indiana Blacksmithing Association, c/o Ferrel Wells, 8235 E. 499 S., Dunkirk, IN 47336.

Paul was a great person for blacksmithing. Very dedicated, and very much willing to help anyone in need. I knew Paul, and spent some time with him at a few Quad States, and at the past ABANA board meeting in Memphis. I wish I would have known him better, and spent more time with him when I had the chance.

He will be missed.