I Forge Iron

buffalo blower repair

emerson

I bought an antique blower on ebay and of course it was supposed to work like new. When it arrived i found that although it worked there was quite a bit of resistance and when i really cranked it the fan seemed to make a sound like it was rubbing on the shell. Can anyone tell me how I should approach this. I would like to repair and use this blower. All help is much appreciated. I am a rookie so talk to me like i am ignorant as I am.

• 3 weeks later...

my old buffalo blower had a spacer washer missing on the fan shaft gear. this would cause the shaft to move to the outside and make the fan blades rub on the housing.
put in a new washer as a spacer and that took the back and forth movement out of the fan shaft. fixing my grinding noise and rubbing problems.

my old buffalo blower had a spacer washer missing on the fan shaft gear. this would cause the shaft to move to the outside and make the fan blades rub on the housing.
put in a new washer as a spacer and that took the back and forth movement out of the fan shaft. fixing my grinding noise and rubbing problems.

I think this is the problem as I noticed the fan will move a little bit from side to side. What kind of washer do I use and where exactley should I place it. Thanks for the help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Another tip is to turn the blower and then turn it with your hand over the outlet offering resistance. They were designed to be used with coke/coal over the tuyer blocking some of the airflow. However if it is grinding and making racket it could be anything as described above.

Let us know what you find out and I'm kinda jealous you found a hand crank for your forge. I looked and looked but couldn't find a working one within my budget so I ended up building a double action bellows.

• 2 weeks later...