I Forge Iron

Hack saw blade?

bikebum1975

Hey I am new to the forum this is my first post also have never made a blade before. I wanted to know if a hand hack saw blade would be good for say like a small carving blade or even I was thinking like a fillet knife blade any thoughts? I figured it would work for the fillet knife seeing as it is flexible.

I have found that the bi-metal blades dull easily in shop knife use, but are readily resharpened. They are not mild steel, though, since they cannot readily be drilled with a HSS bit, even after annealing. They can be hot punched, or pierced with a carbon arc, though. Still, it seems to make a fair to poor knife.

Waste not, want not, huh? :)

If ya do a little srarching, you should find some good info on power hacksaw blades. Try some of the older knife boards.
Somewher ei wrote down a list of specific blade sand their type. Some were M2, other )-1, and I don't remember the rest. Some are junk(bi-metal) too.

Hmmm... I have a handful of old power hacksaw blades, 1/8 inch thick, 2 inches across, about 18 long. After laying in a wet, salted puddle in the garage for 3 months they have almost no rust, and they came from a leaky garage where they sat for likely 20 years.

I think I need to learn more before playing with these.

Phil

Hand hacksaw blades are too thin to be very useful even for small blades. The power hacksaw blades can be good steel especially the real old ones (before bimetal became the most common material). I have some that work fairly well but it's hard to get enough upset to make the tang the way I want... I have kinda quit using them as I have some spring steel and some old rotary mower blades that are easier to use and make better blades anyway.