I Forge Iron

What is it?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd guess that it's the kick- start pedal to a 1952 Vincent motorcycle....... Or it could be some part to a coal furnace. Either way, it's kind of neat looking and should be used for something. Maybe a trivet for the kitchen or the shop? It will surely be a conversation piece. Those are worth their weight in gold.

Yep, looks like a "dump-gate" out of an old furnace. The one's I've seen were two-piece, more than likely there was another one with a similar gear arrangement that meshed - Turn one handle and they both opened up to dump clinker/ash into the ash bin. It's all cast iron so not really forge material but it's a great shape - might be fun to try and integrate it into something else.

I've got the remains of one that was from a coal furnace and it acted as a "grinder" for clinker. The parts are on a shelf in my storage area - I'll post some pics.

Let us know if you come up with any neat ideas!

I'd guess that it's the kick- start pedal to a 1952 Vincent motorcycle....... Or it could be some part to a coal furnace. Either way, it's kind of neat looking and should be used for something. Maybe a trivet for the kitchen or the shop? It will surely be a conversation piece. Those are worth their weight in gold.

Awfully darned light duty for a Vincent part don't you think? :unsure:

Oh,:o you were making a joke! silly me.

Frosty the Lucky.

Yep, looks like a "dump-gate" out of an old furnace. The one's I've seen were two-piece, more than likely there was another one with a similar gear arrangement that meshed - Turn one handle and they both opened up to dump clinker/ash into the ash bin. It's all cast iron so not really forge material but it's a great shape - might be fun to try and integrate it into something else.

I've got the remains of one that was from a coal furnace and it acted as a "grinder" for clinker. The parts are on a shelf in my storage area - I'll post some pics.

Let us know if you come up with any neat ideas!

I was just thinking, looking at it, that if you mounted it standing by your porch door, it would make a neat boot-scraper.
Just an idea.

sam