I Forge Iron

New guy needs help

Pellethuntr

Ok you'll half to take into consideration that I know nothing of forging outside of what the internet has to offer... I made a simple brake drum forge the other day. I am curretly using my air compressor for an air source. I have a few question before I get started #1 I know that charcoal is not optimal but will it work??? and #2 what is the best way to start the fire??? should I use just charcoal and lighter fluid or should I build a wood fire first or something like that. Any help is much appreciated thank you in advance

Charcoal will work just fine, it was the fuel of choice for thousands of years. It wasn't until the British Isles were denuded of trees that mineral coal came into the picture as a smithing fuel. Don't use the briquets a la Kingsford, but find lump charcoal at the market or the hardware store. The mesquite stuff works but its rather sparky, I like to use Cowboy Brand cause its easy to find.

As for starting, I use a chimney style starter. Its a metal tube with a grate in the bottom, a couple inches up from end. Newspaper under the grate, charcoal above, light the paper and red hot coals in 15 minutes or less. I use that time to fill the slack bucket, lay out my tools etc while getting ready.

Happy forging.

Actually a cheap blow drier works better than an expensive air compressor---especially for charcoal which does well with a fairly low pressure low flow air supply. (The blow drier needs to be set up so you can waste most of it's output in use and preferably so that it turns off when the steel comes out of the fire ---a foot switch works well, especially if you can get one that is only "on" when you are standing on it.)

Briquettes are very poor; but lump charcoal was what all the pattern welded swords of the vikings were made with and the traditionally forged japanese swords use it to this day!

Pellethuntr, charcoal has been used for forging iron for centuries. I have been using soft wood charcoal that I have gathered or made myself and I can get welding temperature with it. Your results may be different according to your forge and air supply. Some brands of BBQ charcoal work well and maybe somebody that uses the product can give the specifics.
I started the first fire in my home made forge in a ceremonious fashion. I started with an invocation to the spirits of fire and the patron saint of blacksmiths. Then I struck sparks with my home made steel striker on a piece of chert to get my charcloth and tinder lit. I progressed to a small wood fire and then pushed the charcoal up agaist and around it to get it going. This may be more info than you need, but it was so much fun, I just had to tell it.
The way I look at it, my charcoal comes from my own labour, and small bits of wood to start the fire are plentiful everywhere, so being the independent and thrifty kind of person that I am, this is how I do it and my cash outlay for charcoal and starter is zip.
Resourcefullness is an admirable quality.
Steeler.

Charcoal has another advantage over mineral coal, aroma, it smells more like a BBQ. Coal can have a sulfurous, malodorous smell at times that some neighbors find obnoxious. The down side of lump charcoal are the sparks that fly about. In my area things are brittle dry desert and catch fire easily so that's not good. I had to wet the whole are down with a hose before I started forging, then I went to a gas forge.
P.S. It would be nice to know where you are located. There is a spot in your profile for that, Thanks.

Another method of charcoal supply is to have a raised firepit and burn scrap wood in it and shovel the hot coals over as you need more. Made me *VERY* popular at a "Little Town of Bethlehem" demo I did out here on a cold Dec night. Had the wise men, merchants roman soldiers, etc all huddled around my firepit until a car would show up and everyone would scatter back to their places. I worried a bit as I know *my* clothing is fire resistant but a lot of costumes are not!