I Forge Iron

Baking bread in my shop.

Paul42`

I'm into collecting and using cast iron cookware. It's been cold and snowy lately but I wanted to try baking bread in one of my dutch ovens so.... out to the shop!

My dutch oven cooking table is actually an old plough disc with horseshoes for handles.

4352072930_7f77dbebe9.jpg

4351319663_33f912db7b.jpg

A quick peek to make sure things aren't burning.
4351321095_1501c95211.jpg

All done...
4352070658_685d244d19.jpg

Very tasty... I call it my "Cider House Rye".
4352072216_671c828a7e.jpg

If anyone is interested, here is a great forum for outdoor & cast iron cooking...
www.camp-cook.com

Thanks Holzkohle... I do try to purchase older cast iron items whenever possible. Even if they're rusty or full of crud, they can generally be brought back to almost mint condition. That being said, I do have some off-shore pieces. It is sad that all of this stuff is being made overseas. I only recently discovered that even MACA ovens are made in India now. They claim that they ship they're molds and iron over there, but I can't honestly fathom how this is cheaper than producing them locally. American Culinary holds the rights to the Wagner Ware and Griswold names now, but although their website talks about "quality American products & craftsmanship" it is oddly vague to state where exactly their products are being manufactured. There is a small foundry here in Ontario, Canada that produces very large round & rectangular frying pans... they will even custom cast one with your family or camp name in it. The casting is a little rough, but it is definitely a conversation piece!

Paul42. Yes it's interesting the way some of us are addicted to our hobbies. A camper led to the cast iron addiction when I decided to cook the primary meal each day. At the time I only had a #10 deep CO made by Birmingham Stove and Range, and everyone knows that one is not enough. Now I probably have a ton of CI(may not be an exageration): about 35 waffle irons the oldest dating back to the 1840's and only three have the same patterns; CDO from #5 through #16, including deep and shallow; assorted skillets, gem pans,griddles corn stick pans, tea kettles, etc, etc. No matter how old they are, I will use any of them, that's what they were made for.

In September, I will be teaching a couple of classes using camp cooking gear at the Alabama Forge Council conference. Menu: chicken and rice, baked sweet potatoes with rosemary, two spyders of cornbread and a dump cake.

The cast iron addiction led to the Blacksmithing. About two yearts ago when looking for CI, I noticed an anvil when I entered this junk shop. Owner said that he had been asking $250 but would let me have it for $125. It has some defects so I called a lad who blacksmiths at the living history site where I used to cook for his opinion. Needless to say I went back the next day and bought the anvil. Initially I was told that it is a HayBuden but I now believe that it is a Trenton farriers anvil 144#. So 4 anvils later: no just sold one to a newbie smith with our group; post vises, rivet forge, etc, etc.

At least with this addiction(hobbie) you may ocassionally sell something to cover expenses.

Jerry

Used them a bit when I was with my Boy Scout troop. Still have around 6, or so kicking around.

As for Lodge cookware. I have heard mixed reviews on their quality. Some say it is OK while others say to avoid it at all costs. Not sure who made the Dutch ovens I have, as none are marked, but all are older- 20+ years. My local supermarket has some Chinese made ones 12qt for as low as $9.99 at times, IIRC reg price is around $15. They do not look bad,and the price is right, but I have a hard time buying made in China, or around here Hecho en China :P

I have my Mom's cast iron pans (Griswold, and Wagner), and have picked some up at garage sales. I like it.

Probably the most common complaint about Lodge cookware is that it does not have as smooth a finish as the older cookware. This is a result of going to automatic moulding machines in the 1960's which resulted in having to use thicker patterns as well as a coarser sand-moulding mixture. It is also heavier than the old. If Griswold and Wagner were still in business, their product today would also have the same characteristics as today's Lodge. It is a matter of doing what is necssary to stay competitive and stay in business. When properly seasoned and as it comes from the foundry, this coarseness does not affect cooking at all. With continued use and proper care it too will eventually be as smooth as the old CI.

The second complaint is that it cost considerably more than the imported c--p. But show me an imported item that is not cheaper than US made items.

I have had Chinese cookware (bought on E-bay and not what I thought I was buying and quickly sold) It was a camp DO as coarse if not more so than Lodge, uneven side wall thickness, was not level when held by the bail, and lastly the lid did not set properly on the oven. I have seen this on other across the pond items as well. I have not seen this on Lodge.

Most of my cooking is with camp type gear. Most of my CDO's are Lodge and Birmingham Stove and Range(BSR). The spyders(footed skillets with a camp type lid) are marriages. The bottoms, unknown makers, were made before 1890;one has a BSR lid which fits perfectly and the other has A Lodge lid turned to fit it. Mostly use these for cornbread/biscuits. Also have a Martin spyder and #12 CDO but have not used them yet. Also have a Griswold/Wagner CDO but to me it is not user friendly_ The legs are short and the lid has a outward tapering flange which interfers with the bail(bought it to resell).

If you have not noticed it yet, I am biased/opinionated toward Lodge(US made), our last foundary producing CI cookware.

Jerry