I Forge Iron

Anyone want to buy my 200lb 1pc Chambersburg?

I am toying with the idea of selling my 200lb Chambersburg. It is an absolutely beautiful hammer, the best shape of any old self contained hammer I have ever seen. The bore and ram are as new, everything in the drive train is tight and solid. I had (still have actually)it apart and the painted part numbers and info is still visible on the ram. I built new cast iron guides for it (guides were fine but someone had let a key get into one, since it was apart I just built new ones) and installed a new leather seal. Built new H-13 flat dies with a 3" X 7" working area and new keys.... The dies are ready for heat treat, everything else is done. So zero hours on rebuild... One peice so no fancy foundation required (still recommended but not required) I really dont want to sell it but have a 135lb Say Mak on the way and I just cant see that I REALLY need both the Nazel 3B and the Chambersburg and the Say Mak... not to mention the 4 mechanical hammers I currently own... Price is $15K I might take a big (300lb plus) mechanical hammer as part trade...

If your really interested I have pictures of both the inside and outside of the hammer....

Larry I have a friend looking for a hammer but the cburg would be too big for him. When you get those 50# little giants in and set a price give me a call and I will pass on the word to him.

Will do Bill.... I just bought another one today so I'll actually have four 50lb little giants soon as I get the whole mess hauled....

You don't really wanna sell it do you :D

Thanks for the photo, I would love to see more! Wish I could afford it!

I dont really want to sell it... The thing is I really dont need it. The reason I feel I should hold on to it is I think there is close to zero chance I'll ever see another one peice Chambersburg in this kind of shape... It is just really, really nice. I wish my Nazel was half as good as this hammer... I dont want to give up the Nazel though because its bigger, has larger working area and its what I have built my tooling around.. I might do away with the new Say Mak... pretty much the only reason I bought it was because I got a great deal on it...

I dont really want to sell it... The thing is I really dont need it. The reason I feel I should hold on to it is I think there is close to zero chance I'll ever see another one peice Chambersburg in this kind of shape... It is just really, really nice. I wish my Nazel was half as good as this hammer... I dont want to give up the Nazel though because its bigger, has larger working area and its what I have built my tooling around.. I might do away with the new Say Mak... pretty much the only reason I bought it was because I got a great deal on it...

Is the sow block the height it was when new or is it taller than original?

While it might be "original", it ain't standard. Nice if you need to make a lot of dies as they are much shorter. I did similar in my 500 pound Nazel so that it took less material to make dies. The 7" tall standard dies are a little better for general work, but it rarely makes much difference.

Is the sow block the height it was when new or is it taller than original?

Yeah, what Grant said... Grant has actually seen this in my shop. I had concerns that maybe there was less tooling room because of the tall sow block, but there is the same clear space between the dies and the same amount of stroke, just shorter dies and a taller sow block...

Im not sure why the hammer was ordered like this, Bob Bergman told me he had a standard sow block and set of dies he would sell me for $500, but I cant see that its worth the effort to change. My plan was to cut a chunk off the working side of the sow block at an angle to give a little more low angle clearance.

Glen,

Don't you have one about that size?

Yes Michael, I have a 1B,working on it, a 2B and 3B that I use. I would put photos on but I have not figured that process yet. My 1B is from the 1930's-40's It is a Lobdell Nazel and the others are Nazels
The 2B was made about the same time as Yellin's hammer and the 3B in the 1920's