I Forge Iron

The collectors market on Blacksmiths Hammers..

KYBOY

I have a bunch of hammers, mainly old commercial ones.  My favorites are from the Lynch collection and I have my favorite shape in sizes from light small hammers up to sledge size. I bought some of them when they used to sell them by the pound at conferences, and then the sledge at a Pennsic War and 11 that were sold for US$5 a head at an estate sale at a conference.  I can't recall that I ever did buy a new hammer; though my Swedish Crosspeen had only one prior owner. They bought it during the fad; decided they didn't like it after all and sold it on at a substantial discount.

I make some of my own but usually start from hammers and modify them.  It's about time to duplicate my favorite straight peen---the peen looks like a section of 1" round stock. I'll take a double faced hammer, heat it and use a press to put the troughs in and push the rounded end out...reheat treat and be ready to retire the old one...