I Forge Iron

Champion Blower

saddleboat

fill the gearbox with marvel mistery oil or other thin oil and let it sit... also ck the blower fan for debris (mud dauber nests ect) those blowers are pretty tough probably gumed up oil .... if nothing else the stand is a find!

I got the cover off the fan and it had no debris at all and fans looked undamaged. Couldn't get the gearbox screws out so i used some spray lubricant i had on hand and sprayed it inside and around the screws and tapped around them and they come out fairly easy. Gears look good to me.

post-10262-12650011994802_thumb.jpg

post-10262-12650012147039_thumb.jpg

looks like theyres enuf rust to lock it up... ide see if you can get it to wiggle a bit.. it will loosen up eventually get it wiggleing work it back and forth and it will free up ... dosent look like any gears are broke just rusty! good score! take your time tho and dont rush it NO big hammers!! :D

looks like theyres enuf rust to lock it up... ide see if you can get it to wiggle a bit.. it will loosen up eventually get it wiggleing work it back and forth and it will free up ... dosent look like any gears are broke just rusty! good score! take your time tho and dont rush it NO big hammers!! :D

Thanks for all the help. I checked the blades and no part was hitting anything, I tapped on the handle and it moved a bit then it moved more and after a bit I could turn it all the way around though not freely but the shaft was moving around in the motionless cog. I took the blades off and attached vise grip and it did turn and the cogs started moving. The teeth that were at the bottom came around and they had a lot of gunk which I cleaned off and the teeth there look fine. Kept turning and it got easier so I put the blade back on and used the handle and soon it was spinning with no problems at all except if i start out too fast the shaft will slip so needs tightening, the head of the set screw is missing half so need to replace it I guess. Put the cover on fan and it blows air great though there is some hitting of the blades so needs some adjustment. What do I need to do to keep it in good shape? I like the way it looks though I see some like to paint them. What is a good lubricant for gear box?

Thanks for all the help. I checked the blades and no part was hitting anything, I tapped on the handle and it moved a bit then it moved more and after a bit I could turn it all the way around though not freely but the shaft was moving around in the motionless cog. I took the blades off and attached vise grip and it did turn and the cogs started moving. The teeth that were at the bottom came around and they had a lot of gunk which I cleaned off and the teeth there look fine. Kept turning and it got easier so I put the blade back on and used the handle and soon it was spinning with no problems at all except if i start out too fast the shaft will slip so needs tightening, the head of the set screw is missing half so need to replace it I guess. Put the cover on fan and it blows air great though there is some hitting of the blades so needs some adjustment. What do I need to do to keep it in good shape? I like the way it looks though I see some like to paint them. What is a good lubricant for gear box?

once you have the gears all cleaned up (just keep flushing out the rust till its relatively clean) use a little motor oil on the gears and use it! there is a oil hole in the top of the gear cover a few drops of oil once a day is what i do ...should last another hundred years with that...

I've been collecting old tools, especially blacksmithing tools, for about 15 years now and I think the BEST product on the market for loosening rusty, greasy parts is Kroil. You can find it on the Internet usually a couple of spray cans for around 16.00. It is well worth it. This stuff will loosen parts that you'd swear were rusted through.