I Forge Iron

Hi guys I'm back....

Well been a while since I've logged in. In the past couple years there's been a few life changes that have sucked away any feelings of creativity I had. My divorce was finalized last May and through the long road from the separation to the courtroom I had picked up the hammer several times but only found frustration at the forge. Blacksmithing was something I had taken up with the hopes of finding a hobby to share with my now ex-wife as we aged and entered into retirement down the road. But as time has healed that wound, I find my self curiously drawn back to the forge. Especially as I look to rebuild my life and hopefully sometime in the near future a house too.

So just wanted to let you guys know that you all have been missed and I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things again. Also thank you Peyton. I'm looking forward to the class coming up in April.

-Dan

Dan, I am pleased to hear that your life path is unfolding in a positive direction. When a person’s life is in turmoil it is indeed difficult to give full focus to things that require complete attention. Experience has taught me that blacksmithing is a craft that will demand that you keep your undivided attention on what you are doing.

When a person doesn’t stay focused, safety issues (such as a burn, splinter in the eye, smashed finger, etc.) will soon remind you to re-focus. blink.gif I found that when I am forging, it is a form of mental relaxation from all of my other cares and issues in life. I believe that is one reason I have stayed with it at times. When I go out into my shop, I am the CEO, Financier, Book Keeper, Shop Manager, Layout man, Welder, Blacksmith, Parts and Material handler, and Janitor. It is my OWN WORLD. Well that is until my wife (the Owner) comes out to visit.
I am glad your back and ready to stand by your anvil! smile.gif Ted Throckmorton

Good to see you again Dan: Bummer about the low points, we all have them and hopefully get through them. I've sure had mine.

The forge has been my refuge for years, especially when I'm so mad about something, usually idiot related, I don't think I'll be right again till after killing something slowly. What I discovered long ago is the steel doesn't care. The fire doesn't care. Sure you can destroy the steel but you can't hurt it and trying to build my anger into a fire only means it won't be right. So I have to do what good smithing demands and control myself before I try controlling anything else.

Once I've done that I can heat and beat some steel into something only I can see before doing it which is a fine form of meditation for me. It centers me and allows expression in a material that most folk think of as nearly indestructable.

Nothing I've said is really different than what Ted did, I think we're on the same page just using a little different words.

At any rate, best of the best to you Dan.

Frosty the Lucky.