I Forge Iron

First set of tongs

Mark Wargo New2bs

Well, I finally forged my first set of tongs. These started life as 3/8 square mild steel. They are based off of the tongs illustrated in Basic Blacksmithing by Harries and Heer. The rivet is just some 1/4 round scrap I found. After forging them, I used them to forge the candle socket and drip pan. Like a knuckle head, the drip pan actually started life as a plug of 3/4 coil spring about 3/4 inches long.

Mark

post-11994-12646477058109_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grant,

I did indeed have a blast. I seem to be having better results making tools than making "stuff" heheh. In any case, it didn't stop me from ordering a pair of your tongs a couple days ago with some Christmas money.

Yes it is fun. I'm betting you're having better results making tools is simply because you have a clearer picture of what you want in your mind when you make them. It works for me anyway.

Now Francis has me thinking of swivel jaw tongs. Hmmmm.

Well done New2.
Frosty the Lucky.

Well done. For me making tongs helps me understand several different things. Drawing, fullering, twisting, punching and riveting to name a few. I think they teach a lot to a beginning smith like me. So, that's about all I've made. Tongs, tongs and another set of tongs. :P Like my football coach used to say, "Keep running that play till you get it right."