I Forge Iron

question on stock removal

tnraines

Say I have a piece of steel that I cut out to shape by removing the excess steel, I need to heat treat it etc. Reading the stickies on normalizing and hardening and the temperatures involved sounds like I need a forge to get those temps. Is my reasoning correct or is there some other say to get the temps?

Just trying to clarify things.

tnraines

Actually you should draw temper on a file before making it into a knife as it's too brittle at file temper; so pop it into your oven and draw it to the temp you like your knifeblades at and then keep it cool when grinding!

Many knives get hardened by heating with a torch to critical and then quenched.

Real chunk charcoal and a blow dryer will work too. A forge can just be a hole in the ground!

Actually you should draw temper on a file before making it into a knife as it's too brittle at file temper; so pop it into your oven and draw it to the temp you like your knifeblades at and then keep it cool when grinding!

Many knives get hardened by heating with a torch to critical and then quenched.

Real chunk charcoal and a blow dryer will work too. A forge can just be a hole in the ground!

True though for say just a attempt at stock removal till can find charcoal or coal locally and the swamped yard dries out or freezes to make a simple forge, could one borrow the neighbors MAP/Pro torch in theory in burns hot enough. Sorry if I make anyone cringe its not ideal or cost effective I know.

Building a bean can or coffee can forge for heat using a plumbing torch requires one linear foot of wool (2 ft wide) so the cost is down around $8 +shipping for the wool, and a plumbing torch, plus some odd bits to hold it all together and provide a base, but those can be cut out of another coffee can and bolted or screwed on.

This limits your heat treat length to around 6 inches though, but your could build 2 and line them up without buying extra wool.

Phil

First, to answer your question. If you were to make a blade just by grinding/filing/sanding youmight not need to heat treat it at all IF, during the process, you didn't over heat the steel (using bare hands it a good way to make sure you don't over heat it). That said, it is darn difficult to make a knife from hardened high carbon steel (much less good tools steel) just by stock removal without annealing it first. It can be done, it's just very difficult.

You can use a forge, kiln or furnace but if you go that route I'd think you'd want one that goes beyond 1550 degrees. Many good knife steels require higher temperatures (A2 for example requires 1700 degrees and 1600 degrees is recommended for 5160).

Absent of a pyrometer you can use the magnet test. Using any means you have (even a hot wood or charcoal fire) heat the steel up to the point that a magnet won't stick. The difference in normalizing and hardening, for a lot of steel, is just the cooling process. For normalizing you just air cool, for hardening a quick cooling via a quench (quench material vary by steel by vegetable oil work for a number of them - heat the veggie oil to 140 degrees +/- 10 degrees).

Don't forget the tempering.