I Forge Iron

Pilkington powerhammer

• 2 months later...

well even if no one had any info to share

i thought some one might be interested in seeing some pictures of a pilkington powerhammer

about 1 and 1/2 year ago i made up my mind that i will get a powerhammer and setteled for a anyang airhammer as they are briliant machines and good tools...
but when i got offered this pilkington my love for old machines and tool kicked in and made me change my mind i would still like to one day have a 15kgs. anyang hammer for doing light stuff as this pilkington is really powerfull..

so heres some info and pics and one vid will post more when i get time :)
it is a pilkington no. 1 air hammer 1CWT / 55kgs. ram a one piece hammer has a nice 'puffing' sound
it is still unly in primer grey but will get a nice green with yellow highlights
currently the hammer is in the UK at John N at massy forging (also where the pics and vids are taken)

IMG_1607.jpg

here is a link for more pictures

and here is a link for the vid.

the hammer still needs some fidling with but powerhammer master John will take care of that.

still if anyone has any info about pilkington or when alldays & oniens bought pilkington i would be very interested. :)

Cheers DC.

This is really a very sweet little hammer,. I would keep her but I want to keep them all ! The self contained hammers really have some stomp (this one forged down a big lump of 817m40 (en24) in one heat from 100mm round to flat bar with flat dies in, and it must be 80 years old!!!! ),.

Dans not mentioned that the video of him knocking down the W2 is only the second piece he forged on this machine, and he only had an hour or so total power hammer experience on a spring hammer and 15 kg Anyang before using this one!

Ill put some pics up of this one when its had its 'topcoat' and is looking pretty :D

i have owned pilkinton hammers the ones i had the valve was like a pepper pot on the top ,and controled through bevel gears not the alldays type they also had open crank cases the anvil block was the same and the key could be knocked out and the block lifterd out and i had a bolt header die that fitted in , the name Backsy fire grate foundry rings a bell ,perhaps they were casting parts for pilkingtons .