I Forge Iron

Where to get an oiler port for a blower

brian.pierson

All,

I have a blower that is missing the top oiler port. The brass device that you can add oil to the gear box. It is a 3/8" hole. I can interchange the one from my champion blower but I am looking for one for the new blower. Am I calling it the right name? Does any one make replacements? I can always put in a bolt to block stuff from getting into the gear box but would like the convenience of the pull up port. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Brian,
Try looking at McMaster-Carr's website. I believe the correct nomenclature is "oil cup." A little "thingy" with a spring loaded flip-up lid, right? Sounds like you're looking for a rather large one, so M-C might not have something that big. You could also try making one out of 3/8" brass (I like the brass--just looks cooler!) and use a threaded cap on the end. If you decide to make one with a screw-on cap, just remember to drill a tiny hole in the top of it (maybe use a #60 drill) so it won't develop a vacuum and provide for better lubrication.

-Chris

Chris, and Bob,

Thanks for the replies. Okay, an oil cup it is then. I figured that I was calling it the wrong thing. Here is a picture of what I have on my Champion blower. It is from an ad on EBay of a champion Blower. I like the spring load part and I can add oil on the fly. I think the Brass looks cool also. Thanks again and now I know what to ask for. I will have to measure the one from the Champion blower to get specifics.

Ken,

Thanks for the tractor show idea. I know there are a lot of steam and miss and hit engine collectors around Southern Indiana so I will look for shows.

Brian

post-6208-12639582339738_thumb.jpg

Most of the oil cups being made today have a spring loaded cap over them but it`s not like your pic.
It`s more like a spring loaded version of the flapper you`d see on the top of a tractor exhaust,it`s hinged.

BTW-Most of the new larger oil and grease cups are pipe thread.Don`t know how big the one you`re after is.

All,

I have a blower that is missing the top oiler port. The brass device that you can add oil to the gear box. It is a 3/8" hole. I can interchange the one from my champion blower but I am looking for one for the new blower. Am I calling it the right name? Does any one make replacements? I can always put in a bolt to block stuff from getting into the gear box but would like the convenience of the pull up port. Thanks in advance.

Brian

I looked on Ebay by the stationary engines and there were a few listed.

Bob,

The one from the Champion has a 3/8" stem. I understand now that NPT stands for National Pipe thread. I still have to check the next time I get to the Smithy. unfortunately that will be a couple of weeks or so. I really need my stuff closer. Thanks again.

Countryforge,

Thanks for the pointer to the stationary engine section of EBay.

Brian

• 3 years later...

<p>I know this is an old thread, but another couple of places that seem to carrt the kind of oiler cups I've seen on old blowers are:</p>
<p>http://www.americanmodeleng.com/id32.html</p>
<p>http://www.brassaircocks.com/shop/category/lubricators/</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I haven't contacted either company yet but need to get a few for some old blowers.</p>