I Forge Iron

1812 era forge wagon

Sam Falzone

Greetings all,
Does anyone on the forum have plans for an 1812 era army forge wagon they would be willing to share? Either American or British.
Thanks.
Sam

Check with Ft. York and Ft. George. Saw something at Ft. York in the late 1980's that was slightly different than Muller's drawings of 1757. Mine is a Muller/British traveling forge. I am not sure what and when the Brits started to change. American's were supposed to have gone to French pattern artillery around 1800-1810. The French pattern forge is supposed to be a four wheel set up, basically a wagon frame. I have only seen photos of a model years ago and no one has come up with it or drawings when I ask.

Check with Ft. York and Ft. George. Saw something at Ft. York in the late 1980's that was slightly different than Muller's drawings of 1757. Mine is a Muller/British traveling forge. I am not sure what and when the Brits started to change. American's were supposed to have gone to French pattern artillery around 1800-1810. The French pattern forge is supposed to be a four wheel set up, basically a wagon frame. I have only seen photos of a model years ago and no one has come up with it or drawings when I ask.

Here is a wikipedia article showing a Brit militry traveling forge from 1840's. How does this compare to the Mueller drawing? This has the 2 wheel cart attached so it is more like a 4 wheel wagon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/British_1840s_Blacksmith_Traveling_Forge_Wagon.jpg

Brian

"I have only seen photos of a model years ago"
I also saw a photo of a model forge cart, of Napoleonic era in a Verlinden catalogue, in about 1998. Of course now that i'm interested in such a thing, it is not to be found! I notice the Verlinden website has forums (fora??)- maybe a Verlinden enthusiast could help.
In Australia we have enthusiasts also into 're-enacting' that era, including a blacksmith friend of mine. On the Anzac day weekend there is a festival of things metal called Ironfest, has blacksmiths and napoleonic era re-enactors.

Regs
AndrewOC

post-8233-12630150632033_thumb.jpg

I went through some photos I have collected over the years from visits to Ft. York. I can't find my pictures of the forge that I took. It was set up to the left of the "vistor's center" for the Fort around 2003 or 2004. It looked like the Mueller travelling forge. I have been doing Rev War re-enacting out in the great lakes area now for 20+ odd years. There was a gentleman that had a traveling forge he would bring out to events and work from. If I remember correctly, he took the plans from Mueller. He had a heck of a time getting the wheels made for it.

I am sorry if I have sidetracked this thread. I am interested in what you find for the 1812 period. I will be curious to see how/if they changed much.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Ah ha!
I've found a pic

post-8233-12671770854662_thumb.jpg

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.modelsforsale.com/listphotos/HAT8107.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/modelkits.php%3Fmanufacturers_id%3D13622%253FHat%26sort%3D3a%26page%3D4&usg=__ZXO-IER3xw6E1CG1z5RHI-PApzI=&h=270&w=360&sz=16&hl=en&start=14&itbs=1&tbnid=iBZG2pWsvoPk4M:&tbnh=91&tbnw=121&prev=/images%3Fq%3DVerlinden%2Bforge%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1

not Verlinden apparently, but the style of forge cart they did.

Enjoy
AndrewOC