I Forge Iron

Ceramic Wool insulation- Great Deal

I found this on another website but figured it shoud be shared. For those that don't already know, ceramic wool is used to line propane/natural gas forges. Common brand names include KOAWOOL, and Fiberfrax Durablanket® among others. Usual prices are $7-$8 per lineal foot (1" thick x 24" wide by 1 foot long).

The price is $45 for a 25 ft roll (1"x24"x25')

Here is the link. This product has the same insulation specs as the KOAWOOL brand.

Ceramic Wool

• 5 years later...

Welcome aboard Klint, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. Heck, I may know of an outfit close enough you could drive down and buy what you're looking for.

Oh DARN, LastRonin posted while I was writing and I SO wanted to give you a ration. Naw not really, just going to clue you to look at the time/date chop on posts.

Call around HVAC and furnace repair shops/companies. Ceramic wool blanket is industry standard for a lot of systems and they will probably let you have drops and most certainly tell you who the suppliers are in your area.

This is an example of the real paper book Yellow Pages and a telephone work better than the internet and search engines. Search engines are trying to sell you something so don't answer questions IF you could find someone to ask. A polite phone call on the other hand will put you in touch with THE person in charge the receptionist who knows all and sees all. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I managed to score several rolls of Kaowool for cheap when a local paint-your-own ceramics place went out of business. 5 rolls of 2 inch thick, 3 foot long for $2 a pop!  Not sure what the next gas forge will look like, but I've got the insulation.