I Forge Iron

Unknown Forge Type

Chris Waldon

I am currently constructing a new forge design that me and my dad came up with to replace my old fire-pan forge. This forge will be constructed from individual firebricks, not mortared together in any way. Air will be introduced through a pipe that runs through the concrete base to a hairdryer. Since the bricks are not mortared together, I can construct many varying designs, both horizontally and vertically oriented, which can be changed as the current project requires. I already have the concrete base constructed, with the concrete drying as I type. I'll post pictures as soon as the concrete is dry and I can demonstrate the principle. The main thing that bothers me is that I don't know what to call it. Please post with questions or tentative classifications. It does burn charcoal, but beyond that, I don't know how to classify it.
Thanks.

You said something about the base being made of concrete. Sometimes when concrete gets very hot it will crack or send hot shards flying. Be sure you wear safety glasses when you fire it up!
Your idea seems interesting.....but DO be careful.

Here's the pictures I promised. I would give specs, but since it can be built in a near-infinite variety of configurations that would be impossible. Air comes through the hole in the concrete pad and flows along the slit in the firebrick, hopefully allowing for extra oxygen all along the forge. This is in a configuration that I would only need to use for swords, but I was lighting it to keep the concrete warm as it dries. (It got down to near 10 degrees F last night) What I will be using for day-to-day work will be much shorter, and I'll make the walls double-thick for extra insulation. There's many more pictures showing the construction from foundation to this on my facebook account. Look me up! Post with any questions, comments, observations or criticisms that may come to mind. Thanks!

post-6205-12625374455242_thumb.jpg

post-6205-12625374466457_thumb.jpg

post-6205-12625374475935_thumb.jpg

post-6205-12625374486175_thumb.jpg

post-6205-12625374495149_thumb.jpg

post-6205-12625374507158_thumb.jpg

post-6205-12625374518488_thumb.jpg

It will use charcoal. I believe I said that at the top, but I should have made it more obvious.

On another note, I've decided to name this forge "Gred." For anyone who has read the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling, "Gred and Forge" should be familiar.