I Forge Iron

Here's another odd one.

It looks like it would be a great conversation piece for when doing public demonstrations.

Could some kind soul explain to me how its special features are used to make chain? After all, if you bend a ring around and through the hole it would be permanently attached to the anvil.

It looks like it would be a great conversation piece for when doing public demonstrations.

Could some kind soul explain to me how its special features are used to make chain? After all, if you bend a ring around and through the hole it would be permanently attached to the anvil.

Yes, what are the features of this anvil used for in chainmaking?
Also, is this not a coachmaker's anvil?
Why does this anvil and coachmaker's anvils have the prominent side clip and how/ for what purpose is it used? :huh:

Think of the square hole as a horizontal stake bench. The step on the "back" side was used to drive a wedge between the step and the stake mount. Various shaped and sized stakes could be put into the hole. They were used as needed for bending the rod into rings, and for hammering on when forge welding. These stakes were usually perfectly round. The chain could be made into an elongated link after forge welding.

The bigger Fisher chain anvils actually had no horns on the anvil, just two square holes for mounting the various stakes. Biggest Fisher made was a #8, around 1000 lbs.