I Forge Iron

purpose of pickup tongs

the hangman

I am new to the forum and also to blacksmithing. I have arranged for some lessions from a seasoned vetran - but he doesn't want to start untill the snow is gone - so I am banging on some metal on my own for now. I am gathering parts for a brake drum forge to replace the $10 propane torch I am currently using and I picked up a couple books "New Edge of the Anvil" and "The Art of Blacksmithing" I have a junk China anvil and I am looking around for something better - but I have something in the mean time.
I just bought a couple real tongs to replace my vise-grips. I bought an Off-Center Wolf Jaw and an Off-Center 1/4" V-bit chainmaker (16") - for making those manditory S-hooks.
Here is my question: What is the purpose of a "Pick-up" tongs? I read they are used to pull the workpiece out of the fire. What does that mean - is that all they do ? Then what - do you transfer the workpiece to your regular tongs for forging ? Can't I use my regular tongs to pull the workpiece out of the fire or will that somehow damage them ?

Thanks

Pick up tongs are general purpose for removing things from the fire, or believe it or not picking things up from the floor.

"Working" tongs are generally used for a specific type of stock, round, square, flatbar etc. As you progress you will find that some parts need special tongs, and you can make them as needed. Best of luck to you, jump in here any time.

I am originally from Appleton, so say hi to all my friends for me.

ya know, i always wondered if pickup tongs were really something i needed or even wanted... like you said can't i just use my other tongs? this all changed when i found a pair of Atha pickup tongs at a junk shop for pretty cheap. they come in pretty handy when you're trying to maneuver a large or oddly shaped piece... or just bringing a piece to a vice. in my opinion make sure that you have the tongs to hold your most common size stock before you spend a bunch of time or money on the pickups... however if you stumble onto them by all means grab them

The classic use of pick up tongs is to pick up drifts punches and other small tools that fall onto the floor wile forging with a striker. For example lets say you are drifting a hole and drive the drift all the way threw it falls onto the floor. You are holding a hand hammer, tongs and or forging your hands are full. Your striker puts down his hammer and picks up the pick up tongs and gets drift. Wile you go get the next piece to be forged or take another heat, your strike cools off the drift for you. They have it at the ready sitting on the anvil for you to pick up. They are also picking up cut offs that fall on the floor so they don't melt your boot when you step on it or start a fire. They are not really for holding a forging because you cant get a good grip on a workpiece. though they may be of for some upsetting duties under the power hammer.

That makes sense now . . .
Thanks guys

In the days of apprenticeship, one of the first things learned was to pick up hot cut pieces off the floor, quench them, and dispose of them, and this was done as soon as they fell to the floor. Pickup tongs were used and were often extra long overall. The various curves in the jaw could accommodate different sizes. Nowadays, we don't often have apprentices, so people are asking, "What are pickup tongs?"

I often use pickup tongs to fish things out of the gas forge beause they tend to be longer so I don't burn my fingers. Often when I cannot get my tongs on my stock because of its position ( eg. round stock sideways in the fire) I use pickups to position the stock so I can get the forging tong on. I also use them to hold steel under the power hammer, ONLY WHEN THE WHOLE PIECE IS ON THE DIE.

In the days of apprenticeship, one of the first things learned was to pick up hot cut pieces off the floor, quench them, and dispose of them, and this was done as soon as they fell to the floor. Pickup tongs were used and were often extra long overall. The various curves in the jaw could accommodate different sizes. Nowadays, we don't often have apprentices, so people are asking, "What are pickup tongs?"

Interesting trivia . . .

Thanks