I Forge Iron

Aaarrggghhh.....

Got an hour to myself over the weekend to try and finish up a bottle opener for my boss. I'd punched the hole and gotten it half drifted a couple of weeks ago and was hoping to finish it up as a gift to include with a 6 of his favorite brew.

Out of charcoal, lit the little MAPP gas forge instead. Heats the half inch stock pretty well. Got to use the newest anvil tool, a small cone off Ebay. Haven't finished grinding it down to fit in my 7/8 hardy hole, so it goes in the post vise.

The D on this church key type opener was shaping up very nicely. Got the tooth punched neat as you please and just as I was straightening out the loop and thinking about the handle....I snap the loop!!

Looks like a little cold shut that burned almost through. Wish I'd seen it sooner.

Serves me right for working fast. If I pick up another gas cylinder on the way home from work, I MIGHT be able to knock another one out before dinner.

Forgive the image, I cut off the offending stub and just layed it on the scanner.

Michael-Frightening the neighbors since the year Four

20137.attach

Skipped out on dinner with the family to try again, before it got too late in the neighborhood to be hammering under a sheet metal roof (and walls, man it gets loud).

Knocked this out in a little over an hour. Couple more hammer marks than I'd like, the hook could've been drawn out a bit more. I did spend a fair amount of thought today considering the specific steps to making it, which I think helped some. This is I think the 5th or 6th one of these I've done.

thanks for looking

MS

20151.attach