I Forge Iron

Coating Insboard and Inswool, what to use?

KYBOY

I have a diamondback two burner model forge. I have a couple of cracks in the top piece of insboard. I was wanting to patch them and am wondering what would be best to use? Im also thinking of coating the whole inside (insboard and inswool) while Im at it. What do you recommend? Satanite? ITC-100? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have a diamondback two burner model forge. I have a couple of cracks in the top piece of insboard. I was wanting to patch them and am wondering what would be best to use? Im also thinking of coating the whole inside (insboard and inswool) while Im at it. What do you recommend? Satanite? ITC-100? Thanks

I expect the manufacturer will have the best answer but here is an option. Use furnace cement (several brands out there - I use Hercules). It costs about $12/half gallon and withstands heat to 3000 Degrees F. Don't use Satanite or ITC100 to patch a hole or crack. They work better on top of refractory cement or furnace cement. I coated my ceramic wool with several layers of furnace cement for strenght and then a couple of layers of ITC100 for reflectivity. It's easy to fill in cracks with furnace cement and as long as you have ceramic wool or insboard (relatively soft) you'll occasionally get cracks or chips. Treat is as continuing maintenance.