I Forge Iron

Hammer info.

Currently this is all I have to go off of, no pics right now. Could you guys let me know what I should look for or beware of when I go take a look at it.

"Moloch/little giant Power Trip Hammer, 50# head, leather belt drive, under power and good working condition

Thanks.

Well there is alot to look for... Without pics and since its a Molock I'll assume its a old style... First and most important is to look at the frame and castings... look for cracks and repairs. These are the hardest and most expensive thing to fix so I would say thats job one. Next look at the dovetails... have either of the dies been welded in place (thats a bad sign but maybe just a poor key and someone who didnt understand why it was coming loose) Then the ram guides.. The front to back guides (old style) are much harder to addjust, if they are worn and there are no shims behind the guide that means you either have to machine off some of the guide bracket or build up the guide surface... Are the toggles broke? How wallered out are the pin holes? Next find something and try to pry up on the crank shaft.. is there alot of play in the bearing journals? are there any shims left for adjustment? Are the bearings in one peice? ( I sold a hammer here not to long ago that the bearings where tight and lots of shims left but when the guy got it home the bearings where fractured into several pieces) Does the clutch engage smoothly and at a reasonable spot on the treadle? is there any front to back slop in the crank when you step on the treadle? Kind of stepping back one of the best things you can see when you go to look at a running hammer is it covered in grease and oil... if its being run the whole hammer should be shiny with grease and oil... a guy who cares about his hammer would oil it at a very minimum of once a day and probably several times through out the day.... If its being used much and its dry and crusty... thats a bad sign...

You know if its not broke, the best way to check a running hammer.... is to run it. if its tight, gives a positive blow and is controllable... and doesn't have any breaks or repairs.....I would feel pretty safe paying top dollar... The more issues the less its worth....

If it's a Moluch it will most likely not have poured babbit it will have cast iron bushings if their original, brass if they have been replaced. No Little Giant parts interchange without mods. New springs can be bought from Sid at Little Giant. Check the guides and ram very close. They are not replaceable and very hard to repair. Guides adjust with thru bolts via split frame. Also check the pins in the ram most are worn again not replaceable, but can be fixed if you have machining skills. It will weigh about 1600-1800 lbs. If it is good they are very good hammers. I have a 50# & a 25# and I like them both. The ram is cast steel so if needs repair it is easily welded and machined. My 50 was a basket case but I rebuit it & it works great. The 25 was perfect only needed cleaned and oiled. I hope it's good. Holler if I can help. Phil

If it's a Moluch it will most likely not have poured babbit it will have cast iron bushings if their original, brass if they have been replaced. No Little Giant parts interchange without mods. New springs can be bought from Sid at Little Giant. Check the guides and ram very close. They are not replaceable and very hard to repair. Guides adjust with thru bolts via split frame. Also check the pins in the ram most are worn again not replaceable, but can be fixed if you have machining skills. It will weigh about 1600-1800 lbs. If it is good they are very good hammers. I have a 50# & a 25# and I like them both. The ram is cast steel so if needs repair it is easily welded and machined. My 50 was a basket case but I rebuit it & it works great. The 25 was perfect only needed cleaned and oiled. I hope it's good. Holler if I can help. Phil

Shows what I know... I thought the Molock was basically a re-branded Little Giant... and basically the same... Ive never owned one so I guess I should have not made that assumption... Sorry If i lead you astray

• 2 weeks later...

About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a 25# Moloch locally (NE Texas). It had been "holding up a tree in a barnyard" - literally - for 15 years, all rusted together. Took it to Sid at Little Giant and he rebuilt/re-machined parts as noted above by Peacock. (there were several parts that needed replacing.) I am sure it is not a perfect hammer, but it works well and has been used a lot. Sid carries dies at reasonable prices.

Sid told me the Moloch was made by the same folks that made Little Giant, just after they had sold the rights to the LG name, company, etc. They started over under the Moloch brand. This may or may not be exactly accurate.

If I ever buy another hammer, it will be an air hammer in the 100# range.