I Forge Iron

Fittings, Bolsters and Guards

so I have some practice at smithing and I am working very hard to increase my skill. However I have hit a snag, and that snag is getting a good fit on guards and the other fittings. I don't have elaborately stocked shop. No milling machine, no lathe, only a wide grinder, a narrow grinder, band saw, drill press, and a oxy/act torch, and my forge and anvil of course. So please any techniques, tricks or just processes you can think of that could help, I do appreciate it.

For the guard slot you can use a drill press to a drill a series of holes that are almost touching. Use a bit that is slightly smaller than the width of the slot. You need to get a jewelers saw and some blades and a set of small files. Use the saw to connect the holes and the files to clean up the slot. Go slowly with the filing to obtain a press fit. I used this method for many years before I got a mill. The bolsters and butt caps just require a lot of hand work. Just take your time and practice.

Like cooter said.
I don't use the jewelers saw. A good file works well once you get the hang of it.

By the way, the tools you describe sound like a pretty decent shop that a lot of people don't have. I have found once I got all that stuff, I really do prefer the peace and quiet hand tools offer. Although I won't deny the ease of work an angle grinder and bandsaw offer.

I have had some issues with just a file by itself, I always seem to take off an uneven amount. The drilling and saw and filing sounds like a good idea. My main frustration is that many of the people I have tried to get help from own a machine shop or something and their response is well just use a mill. Which I don't have or know how to use. I have seen the use of layout fluid and calipers used to mark grind lines, and I've picked up tricks here and there like how to square your shoulder with a file and a jig, and then use a chainsaw file to take the sharp angle out so the blade doesn't break. I did have the chance to apprentice with a blade smith and I learned alot in the six or so months in worked in his shop, however getting that knowledge from him was like trying to pull a barge with a row boat. So I have lopsided knowledge, like I learned all about the heat treat and grinding and how to chop charcoal :rolleyes: and just a little bit about forging, but there are also huge gaps like, how I didn't know how to properly fit a guard.