I Forge Iron

completely new...

Hi everyone!

So here's the deal... i'm pretty much brand new to any type of smithing (although i did dabble a little while i was bored in high school). I am going to build my own forge next week using some random parts from around the junkyard and start in practicing.

I could really use any and all tips you have for a newbie such as myself. but specifically, i would like to forge a decent (not being too optimistic) high carbon (something like 1060 and up) knife for my best friend for christmas. i have been reading a LOT of material, but anything you all could tell me would be beyond helpful.

thanks in advance!

patrick

Keep reading! If you have a question, make sure it hasn't already been asked by using the search feature at the top of the page. I recommend you go to this site Technical Links to give you a head start in further reading. When you do build your forge I recommend forging as much as possible because there is no better teacher than experience and that you make progress steadily. Also, listen to what others have to say on this site because they have a lot more experience than you.

i'm pretty much brand new to any type of smithing. I am going to build my own forge next week. i would like to forge a decent knife for my best friend for christmas. i have been reading a LOT of material, but anything you all could tell me would be beyond helpful.

You have ask us to provide you with information so you can understand and complete an involved project in a new (to you) craft (blacksmithing) and a specialty of that craft (bladesmithing) in 30 days. At 8 hours a day, that is only 240 hours, so with time being short, let me suggest you read completely IForgeIron.com from cover to cover. (You will have to register to get to the members section, but you have already done that.) It is dedicated to blacksmithing and should get you the information needed to not only get started but to provide some advance learning. You will need to apply what you have read to building a forge, then you will need a LOT of hammer time to gain the experience needed to understand the way metal moves. While Brian Brazeal is still in Virginia and Maryland, you NEED to take the short drive from North Carolina to spend as much time with him as possible. The free demos and very nominal fees for the all day teaching classes will be well worth the investment.

IForgeIron also have a section on knives which is a good place to start on your understanding of what makes a good blade, what shape blade your friend needs for the job at hand, the fit and finish of the hardwear etc.

BUY all the books by Dr. Jim Hrisoulas. If you have not heard of him, you have not been doing enough reading, as he wrote THE BOOK(s) on knife making. You may visit his web site to see some of his work. Also visit Don Fogg's site, British Blades, and all the sites Chuckster mentioned in Technical Links.

This should get you started but should be only the tip of the ice burg in your quest for knowledge. There are many more sites and much more knowledge out there, including specialty sites on knives, blades, swords, and etc. The internet is a wonderful place where you can get lots of information with little or no financial investment on your part. You will want to attend classes, demos, and interact with other bladesmiths to learn more about their craft. The face to face meetings, and watching these craftsmen work will open your world to many new things.

To pack all this into 30 days time is a challenge, but you can produce your first blade within that time frame. It will not be the greatest knife you will ever produce, but it will represent your best efforts with the time and knowledge you have to work with. Your friend should be pleased with the gift, and even more pleased knowing it was the FIRST blade you produced.

i agree with thomas learn to do basic forging before starting into knives no matter what it just makes it easier. also you can try making a knive out of mild steel since it is more forgiving than high carbon steels makes for good practice.

You have ask us to provide you with information so you can understand and complete an involved project in a new (to you) craft (blacksmithing) and a specialty of that craft (bladesmithing) in 30 days. At 8 hours a day, that is only 240 hours, so with time being short, let me suggest you read completely IForgeIron.com from cover to cover. (You will have to register to get to the members section, but you have already done that.) It is dedicated to blacksmithing and should get you the information needed to not only get started but to provide some advance learning. You will need to apply what you have read to building a forge, then you will need a LOT of hammer time to gain the experience needed to understand the way metal moves. While Brian Brazeal is still in Virginia and Maryland, you NEED to take the short drive from North Carolina to spend as much time with him as possible. The free demos and very nominal fees for the all day teaching classes will be well worth the investment.

IForgeIron also have a section on knives which is a good place to start on your understanding of what makes a good blade, what shape blade your friend needs for the job at hand, the fit and finish of the hardwear etc.

BUY all the books by Dr. Jim Hrisoulas. If you have not heard of him, you have not been doing enough reading, as he wrote THE BOOK(s) on knife making. You may visit his web site to see some of his work. Also visit Don Fogg's site, British Blades, and all the sites Chuckster mentioned in Technical Links.

This should get you started but should be only the tip of the ice burg in your quest for knowledge. There are many more sites and much more knowledge out there, including specialty sites on knives, blades, swords, and etc. The internet is a wonderful place where you can get lots of information with little or no financial investment on your part. You will want to attend classes, demos, and interact with other bladesmiths to learn more about their craft. The face to face meetings, and watching these craftsmen work will open your world to many new things.

To pack all this into 30 days time is a challenge, but you can produce your first blade within that time frame. It will not be the greatest knife you will ever produce, but it will represent your best efforts with the time and knowledge you have to work with. Your friend should be pleased with the gift, and even more pleased knowing it was the FIRST blade you produced.

wow... haha, maybe i need to read a little more. i actually started reading the stuff on iforgeiron.com and made it through some of the forge building stuff. i'm gonna push back the knife idea until he graduates from boot camp, which should give me til may.

i won't lie, i'm extremely excited to get started... i've been telling people to get me coal for christmas :D thanks for all the advice!