I Forge Iron

How much are certain blacksmith tools worth?

I hope I'm posting this on the right board.

Anyway, a guy was offering me a bunch of older blacksmith tools. He has over 30 tools.

There are several sets of tongs, a number of things which look like pliers, and a couple of things which look like old time soldering irons.

There is also an item he calls a anvil creasing stake.

All the stuff looks to be in pretty good shape.

He offered them to me for $125.

Does this sound like a good deal, or is it overpriced?

Thanks for any advice which might be forthcoming, and hope I'm not bothering anyone by asking.

It sometimes depends on location for pricing. Where are you located? I recently bought out an estate and paid $5 a pair for tongs, hardies were $3 ea, hammers / handled top tools $5 ea.

You can look at it this way too -- 30 items for $125 is just over $4 ea. Some stuff may be too high, some may be low, but the average is OK. I always dicker. Sometimes they drop the price, sometimes not, but there is usually some adjustment made.

I already negotiated with him price wise, and $125 is as low as he would go.

I had already thought about the price break down, but definitely appreciate someone going over it again.

If I can get together with the guy, I'll probably deal with him. You both reinforced what I was already thinking. Which is that it's not a steal, but it's not a bad deal either. :)

I really appreciate the input guys, and thank you both for your time.