I Forge Iron

which one

Hi, been looking for a used anvil for a wile and no luck, so new have a choice 112lb NC or a 125lb Cliff Carroll, they also sell a stand with vice but the vice is nothing like a pole vice, ant recomendations either way, where does one look for this type of item, located in the praries, Saskatchewan Canada

thanks

Thanks for the reply, I will be doing what I would call general work, a bit of scroll, straightening of parts, would like to try knife making and maybe tools such as punches or chisels, I build live steam engines so will be making a support for riveting, shaping end plates and bodywork, I do not have a forge so for now I would use a electric furnace which I have.

Hi Phil, sorry for my laxck of understanding but how do you tell the difference, there is a ridgid anvil I believe 140 lbs also, as for ebay, the ones I have seen the price is not bad but shipping is putting them over the top and I can get a new one for the same money

Laurence

Farriers anvils have a larger and flatter horn, and a narrower waist, less mass in the center of the anvil. But they are fine for a one person general shop. They just aren't made for a striker to hit with a sledge hammer. The 125# Cliff Caroll should have turning cams on the side, which are real handy for scroll work. I would buy it.
Keith

Farrier anvils are specialized to making and adjusting horse shoes. They have less mass in the body compared to general work anvils.

You might also want to look at scrapyards for a piece of heavy steel, about 100# or more. This would be a lot less expensive and plenty suitable to a large amount of work. In fact there are people who prefer anvils made from plate without being "London pattern." There are many other options to get working without spending a $grand$.

Check out
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f83/anvil-cheap-7452/
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f83/true-prices-anvils-5622/

For the work you want to do you may be working with a striker in the future, and the turning cams may be less useful. Of course I may be completely wrong about the size of stuff you are making too. Your interests may also change after you are forging a while.

The Rigid/Peddinghaus anvil would be better suited for heavier work. It is also considered one of the best new anvils being the only fully forged one currently in mass production.

Good luck.
Phil

Well, I have placed a order for the Ridgid anvil, cost just over the 1K including freight, it looks nice the reason I looked at the others is the sides were not dressed but when would I use this and having a machine shop could easily make it square, it will be in december 15th, will keep you posted, yesterday got a chunk of steel plate, 3 feet by 2 feet 4 inch thick, milled the top and bottom and drilled a couple of 1 inch holes on the sides, this allows me to put a dowel into it to lift the beast, now at least I have a beating plate

thanks for the replies