I Forge Iron

Forging wrought iron

At the latest NWBA conference I bought a champion model 203 post drill. I don't know how heavy it is, but I know it's too heavy for my son and I to lift and attach to a post. This drill is large!

Anyway, I decided to make a large hook or welded loop with a flattened tang to bolt far up on the post. On this hook I will attach a pulley to lift the post drill into place.

I didn't have any steal round stock large enough but I found in my scrap pile a 1.5" diameter wrought iron bar. I scarfed the end and bent the loop and proceeded with the weld. I believe the weld went well.

I have never forged real wrought iron before. It did seem to move a little faster than steel.

My question is, when forge welding wrought iron, should I take a higher heat than steel? When welding this bar, I took a very bright yellow to white heat. Afterwards I inspected the weld and couldn't find any problems, however I don't know if I did any damage to the internal structure.

I have very little experience forging wrought (wagon tire mostly). If not forged at the proper heat ( read high heat ) it will split and de-laminate. My experience has been that if you forge to refine the bar first and then go about the needs you have to make the shape (and or weld) you need you will have better results. Yes it welds very nicely at a sparkling white heat.

congrats on the drill press i looked at it but it was too big for me to haul! as far as wrought iron i find u usually need a higher heat to keep it from delamanateing on you and that is the biggest difference ...it usually welds easyier tho but with a lot of heat... good luck!

Thanks KeyKeeper for the AD. 500 LBS!!!! WOW!!!! No wonder why my son and I had trouble lifting it out of my truck. I really didn't know it was that heavy. We had to lift it twice and carry it about 10 Ft. We still have to lift it again in prep. for installation.

Well the wrought iron hook I made is 1.5 inches in diameter. It should hold the weight. I will wench it up very carefully though! Can't wait to try it out. It's in great condition.

Hey IC,

He ended up with a whole bunch when we yanked out that 80' of railing from a home in PDX. He did a remake on that section because a car had pranged it up pretty badly.

Part of the deal was he got to keep all of the old railing. I ended up selling most of my share at a couple of the NWBA conferences.

Mr. Powers, thanks for that. I needed a good laugh today. Actually, I have a good vocabulary and poor spelling.

But then again....how do you know I wasn't trying to explain that perhaps I was going to have my wife lift it up on the post?? LOL!! (I'm glad my wife isn't reading this!)

Wrought iron can take a higher welding heat than a comparable size of mild steel, medium carbon steel, or high carbon steel. However, that does not mean that you ALWAYS need a high heat to weld it. Many of you know that edge tools were often forged of wrought iron in the early days to save time and money. The high carbon steel was forge welded to the wrought iron in order to form a heat treatable cutting edge, but high carbon steel cannot stand a high forge welding heat or it will crack or crumble. So you wind up with two dissimilar ferrous metals seeking a common welding heat. That welding heat is necessarily going to be a "light welding heat" sometimes called a "sweating heat" with no sparks! Wrought iron does weld at the lower welding heat.

Turley Forge and Blacksmithing School : The Granddaddy of Blacksmithing Schools

Thanks Mr. Turley. That makes me worry less about the weld I took. I brought the iron up to a bright yellow to white heat, just about to where it sparks. After I welded the bar together, forming a loop on the end, I proceeded to open up the loop and forge it round using my cone mandrel. As you know, this will force open the weld if not done properly. I didn't see any signs of the weld opening up, so I must conclude that the weld took.

The real test will be when the hook suspends 500 lbs!! This has been a real education for me. I hope to forge more wrought iron in the future.